Senior Counsel - Global Contracts
The Legal Department of TD Bank Group is comprised of lawyers and support staff of over 250 employees in Canada and the US with expertise tailored to deliver integrated legal solutions to our global business units and corporate functions. We are committed to delivering the highest level of expertise, service, responsiveness and flexibility to our clients by:
• Understanding our clients’ business, legal and regulatory requirements
• Anticipating emerging issues and providing flexible responses based on experience
• Providing advice that protects the Bank’s reputation and mitigates legalrisk
The Senior Counsel provides oversight, legal advice and support to TD Bank management in Corporate Group Functions
and Business Units. Functions as legal expert in one or more defined subject matter areas and/or specific business lines.
Provides high level legal advice to specific business area(s), may prepare resolutions, contracts, memoranda to
management, litigation documents and forms and participates in major legal actions. Responsible for foreseeing and
protecting the Company against legalrisks.
· May manage paralegal and administrative staff, assigning responsibilities and evaluating results.
· Provides leadership, coaching, counseling and guidance to staff.
· Supervises external counsel providing advice or other legal services of the Company.
· Works closely with General Counsel, department attorneys and external legal counsel on specific legal issues related to the
· Gives practical support and assistance to contemporaries, junior attorneys and staff; volunteers’ expert advice and experience;
verifies that the information has been understood.
· Serves in one or more permanent or ad hoc practice groups or cross-practice teams of attorneys and staff.
· Assists in the management of expenditures for external counsel.
· Advises lines of business on best practices that help minimize legal and litigation risk.
· May assist General Counsel in developing and managing departmental budget for both internal and external legal spend.
· Anticipates client needs; deals with complex legal issues; clearly delivers difficult messages without jeopardizing client
· Gives pragmatic legal opinions with reasons and rationale.
· Provides advice in ambiguous situations; identifies and prevents future legal risks; identifies and takes action on future
· Bachelor’s degree required
· J.D. from an Accredited Law School required
· 10+ Years of related experience
· Strong knowledge of at least one area of law relating to banking/financial services operations and issues
· Integrity and high moral standards
· Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
· Strong legal and analysis skills
· Detail oriented
· Must be able to apply legal knowledge to the business
· Ability to exercise sound judgment
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Strong teamwork and client skills
· Highly motivated
· Ability to provide difficult, complex and unwelcomed legal advice credibly and convincingly to management
*Extensive experience in commercial law with contract drafting and negotiation experience with exposure to complex technologylaw matters including outsourcings, joint ventures, cloud computing and major infrastructure and service arrangements.
*Familiarity with regulations governing third party arrangements for banks, including OSFI B-10 and OCC 2013-29 and general comfort and familiarity with technology concepts.