Senior Counsel, Enterprise Security Solutions
• Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments business, connecting cardholders, customers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses worldwide and enabling them to use secure and convenient electronic forms of payment. Mastercard’s Enterprise Security Solutions team is part of Mastercard’s global product and services group and provides strategic and cutting edge safety, security, identity and fraud solutions to Mastercard’s customers and cardholders.
• Mastercard is searching for a commercial and technology lawyer to help provide legal support and advice to the Enterprise Security Solutions global product team. Be a part of Mastercard’s security product future and help the development, build, launch and marketing of security solutions for today and the future.
• This full-time role primarily supports two West Coast US teams. The legal team supports the business globally, so the role will require some travel and ability to support other time zones.
• Reporting into the Lead Counsel for Mastercard’s Enterprise Security Solutions team, you will take a major role in handling commercial and product development and support matters for the business on a day-to-day basis and will:
o Provide solutions-oriented business counsel to the NuData and Brighterion product and development teams located in San Francisco and Vancouver CA, which teams develop artificial intelligence products globally.
o Provide support to the Enterprise Security Solutions regional and sales team in the EU to support product sales initiatives.
o Provide high quality advice to the business on a broad range of commercial and contractual matters, including product and marketing legal review, nondisclosure agreements, and pilot agreements.
o Negotiate and draft complex technology services, alliance partner and license agreements.
o Manage contractual negotiations with suppliers and financial institutions, and other Mastercard customers with respect to Enterprise Security Solutions’ Mastercard Identity Check Mobile solution, business to business fraud solutions, and other security products and solutions.
o Counsel and advise internal clients and support other Global Business teams on local laws, government regulations and directives affecting security and fraud issues, such as with respect to strong authentication.
o Act as product counsel and become an integral part of the business/product development team on a variety of ESS solutions and services advising clients from the creation through development to the launch stage of the solution.
o Identify and advise on intellectual property and data privacy product risks, with support of Mastercard’s intellectual property and data privacy counsel.
o Provide legal and business risk assessment and analysis on matters from new product constructs to commercial agreements.
o Take responsibility for special projects while continuing to handle a steady stream of day-to-day matters.
o Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
o Manage external counsel within agreed policy and budget
o Develop strong relationships with product development, business, sales, and senior management within the company.
o Assist the resolution of customer issues as to Enterprise Security Solutions products and services.
o Provide applicable training to the LFI, sales and product teams.
All About You
• A qualified US and/or CA lawyer with a solid academic and training background.
• Extensive legal experience, including some time working in-house, preferably at a multinational company.
• Experience in technology, security and/or payments agreements is a distinct advantage.
• A strong business acumen is required as well as a keen interest in technology. An understanding of consumer experience issues is recommended.
• Strong drafting, writing and negotiating skills across a range of complex commercial contracts and the ability to analyze and identify the core legal issues.
• A fast learner who can gain rapid familiarity with complex security products and solutions and maintain knowledge of those changing products and solutions.
• Exposure to a broad range of commercial and technology law issues.
• A heightened working knowledge of data privacy and intellectual property issues.
• Team and business orientation is key.
• Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently.
• Experience of working on cross-border agreements, and with multiple jurisdictions and time zones.
• Solutions orientated and able to work flexibly under pressure and with tight deadlines.
• A lively interest in the business of Mastercard and an enjoyment of working in a fast-paced environment.