Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, Litigation & Employment, the Senior Counsel, Employment & Litigation will provide advice and counsel on a wide range of employment issues, including, but not limited to, wage and hour issues, reasonable accommodations and leaves of absence, employee discipline, and implementation of Company policies and practices in response to new and existing laws.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Manager, Litigation & Employment Practices must have strong written and verbal skills and will have responsibility for the following:
- Analyzing, investigating, and drafting responses to pre-litigation employment matters including, but not limited to, agency charges, attorney demand letters, government agency responses, and employment lawsuits.
- Attending mediations and making appearances acting as a strategic and zealous corporate representative.
- Providing advice and counsel on additional litigation-related matters, including case analysis and strategy, coordination of discovery, litigation preparedness, and related matters.
- Maintain an open and continuous line of communication at all times with colleagues and the legal team.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE TABLE
- The ideal candidate will have 5-8 of years of experience or more in labor and employment matters, including a strong knowledge of state and federal employment laws related to litigation, and advice and counsel. Exposure to retail, restaurant, or multi-location company operations is strongly preferred.
- A law degree from an American law school and be a member in good standing of a state bar and eligible to practice in the State of California and/or the State of Ohio; a track record of academic distinction is required.
- Litigation background handling employment and commercial single-plaintiff litigation.
- Experience defending against claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, and retaliation in both court proceedings and in binding arbitrations.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with all levels of employees across the company and across multi-jurisdictional functions as needed to support a dynamic and growing business and understand and balance business exigencies with the provision of first rate, pragmatic legal services.
- Experience providing legal advice and counsel to human resources and responding to agency charges.
- Strong advisory style; confident and flexible in their views (i.e., willing and able to give advice but also adaptable and an excellent listener).
- Experience practicing in both a law firm and in-house setting.
- Experience responding to complicated corporate subpoenas is a plus.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, analytical skills, attention to detail, and time management skills.
- Creative, responsive, and motivated to provide excellent legal service.
- A well-grounded individual who can work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently with good judgment.
- Outstanding work ethic and dedication.
- Sense of humor!