Tesla is looking for a talented Senior Commercial and Construction Counsel to join our legal team. In this role, you will supportconstruction and business teams on a variety of transactions and negotiations. The ideal candidate will be an experienced generalist with demonstrated experience in various fields including real estate development, construction, permitting, participation in structuring of transactions on behalf of the Owner as well as the General Contractor, and general commercial transactions including supply agreements, equipment purchase, and lease agreements. A background that incorporates a mixture of law firm and in-house experience is ideal. A strong background in all facets of commercial and real estate/constructionlaw is required, and a background in litigation is preferred.
This role is expected to develop strategic business relationships with both Tesla’s suppliers and its internal business leaders and stakeholders, lead contract negotiations, drive cost savings initiatives, implement strategic sourcing best practices, and provide legal advice and support on transactions supporting the day-to-day operations of the company. This position will require some travel.
- J.D. with excellent academic credentials
- 8+ years handling commercial and constructioncontracts including Design Build, Construction Services Agreements, with a strong background in all facets of commercial, construction, and real estate law
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including ability to effectively relay large amounts of information in a concise format
- Proven negotiation, drafting, and analytical skills for various types of commercial contracts including equipment purchase agreements, joint development agreements, non-disclosure agreements, construction agreements, services agreements.
- Experience with construction licensing, permitting and compliance
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-paced environment
- Proven track record of learning quickly, taking initiative, working proactively, being resourceful and taking on additional responsibility
- Evidence of exceptional ability
- In-house legal experience is a plus
- Experience handling large-scale real estate development projects such as development/construction of laboratory, Fab, R&D facilities, or commercial mixed-use spaces is a plus