Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Target Openings
1Job Description Summary
The Senior Counsel role within the Claim Legal General Liability Group is responsible for providing a wide range of cost-effective, high quality legal services while representing Travelers. In this role the Senior Counsel will handle complex coverage matters in support of multiple Claim clients including the National Accounts Unbundled Claim organization and the Global Claim organization. This position will provide coverage advice to clients and manage coverage litigation on behalf of Travelers. The Senior Counsel role may manage a limited number of support staff. Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility . Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides counsel to senior management on complex legal issues within a respective line of business or practice area.
- Negotiates with clients or management and/or attempts to influence leaders at all levels regarding matters of significance to the legal community.
- Researches legal principles and precedents within area of specialization or expertise.
- Proactively identifies and communicates risk to internal and/or external customers and provides recommendations on how to mitigate that risk.
- Drafts, negotiates and executes legal documents.
- Maintains awareness of external judicial climate and legal developments.
- Builds and maintains strong internal and external client relationships.
- Acts as a mentor and coach to less senior attorneys and/or paralegal/staff.
- May prepare or review annual legal fees budget for assigned matters. Review invoices from outside counsel and recommend adjustments. Within authority level, approve invoices.
- Makes effective use of technology and automation in the practice of law.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent International legal degree; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 7 years of prior legal experience.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other Employment Practices
- Minimum of 10 years of prior legal experience preferred.
- Prior experience with General Liability and Auto coverage advice preferred.
- Prior experience directly handling complex litigation, or managing complex litigation preferred.
- Prior trial experience preferred.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.