Broad seeks an energetic, insightful senior counsel with 5+ years of relevant experience to join a growing, collaborative team with a focus on strategic transactions. Responsibilities will include advising on complex partnerships and translation of innovative technologies, as well as product, regulatory and business judgment matters in support of Broad’s mission to improve human health. The Senior Counsel will work closely with academic and business leadership, entities affiliated with the Broad, and industry partners. Day-to-day matters will involve wearing many hats, reflecting the dynamic and diverse activities of the Broad.
- End-to-end ownership over a wide variety of complex, strategic agreements and partnerships (including strategic R&D collaborations, IP / data licenses, COVID-19 testing and response, consortia agreements, service agreements and material and data transfer/use agreements) in support of Broad’s mission to translate innovation and improve human health.
- Work directly with Broad leadership and internal / external stakeholders to untangle tricky issues and identify practical, risk-based solutions as a trusted advisor.
- Drive the development of standardized training, procedures, playbooks and templates to ensure our processes scale effectively with our growth and mission.
- Serve as a point of escalation / supervision for junior team members and outside counsel, as necessary.
- Represent our team internally and externally, including through presentations, training and other speaking opportunities.
- J.D. with 5+ years of strong transactional experience drafting and negotiating complex agreements in life science or academic settings, with demonstrated experience leading high-stakes, strategic deals and counseling executive stakeholders.
- 3+ years in the technology transactions or corporate life sciences practice of a major law firm or equivalent experience preferred.
- Desire to develop expertise with global privacy laws, regulations, and guidelines, in particular those relevant for academic research and genomics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a sense of humor, collaboration and adventure.
- Appreciation for and alignment with Broad’s mission. A passion for science and innovation, including working closely with scientific, business and academic stakeholders.
- Strong growth mindset -- excited to grow in role and responsibilities over time, take on matters of first impression, and wear many hats at a rapidly growing, mission-driven organization.
- Strong ownership mindset -- responsive, bias for action and driven to get things done across multiple work-streams and in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Sees (and enjoys!) both the forest and the trees.
- Appreciation for plain English explanations and drafting, and aversion to gratuitous “whereas”es, “heretofore”s, and other unnecessary complexity/words for words’ sake.
- Willingness to roll up sleeves (no job too big, no job too small) and collaborate cross functionally.