The Senior Cost Estimator will provide cost estimating on assigned projects and in support of Project Managers and other staff as needed. Oversee and coordinate staff assigned as direct reports and/or as support staff from other Groups assisting in cost estimate development.
- Provide cost estimates at planning level through final design, accurate to within a reasonable amount of the actual project cost with a goal of 5-10% above actual cost.
- Assist design staff, project managers, program managers, and construction managers by leading project construction cost estimating efforts and assisting in controlling construction project budgets during planning, conceptual, preliminary, and final design.
- Notify project manager or designer of possible cost overruns and suggest possible areas of construction project scope reduction to minimize or eliminate those overruns.
- Participate in discussions with designers and suppliers to determine major material and equipment prices to be used on the project.
- Lead the preparation of cost estimate documents incorporating input from these discussions.
- Provide recommendations for new or updated cost estimating software to the Group Manager.
- Maintain cost estimating library and cost database, and update software packages as required.
- Maintain and manage cost estimating database utilizing services available from various sources in the construction marketplace.
- Maintain cost trends utilizing published data available from various sources such as ENR and CCI.
- Travel to other offices and to client locations to meet with staff and/or clients regarding cost estimate issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 10+ years of cost estimating experience with specific focus on civil engineering
- Associates degree in engineering, architecture, building construction, construction management, or equivalent practical experience.
- Certified Professional Estimator (CEP) certification through ASPE or Cost Estimating Professional (CEP) certification through AACE is desired.