Who we are
We are a space company unlike any other with deep technical expertise who love to build things and relish the idea of a grand challenge, but not without a sense of humor along the way.
We believe that space is the ultimate high ground, and we are on a mission to provide routine access to earth orbit for the entrepreneurs and enterprises that are launching a new generation of services powered by small satellites that will connect, observe, and influence our planet. Building on over a decade of technology development in rocket propulsion, structures, and avionics, we are applying a fast-paced, hardware-focused, agile approach to space launch.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
The successful candidate will be under the direct supervision of the Controller. The Senior Cost Accountant will maintain a high level of analytical insight into R&D projects, manufacturing, operational expenses, product costing / pricing (unit economics) and product line profitability. The accountant will need to support customer and R&D related project cost and schedule performance. In addition, the accountant will need to work closely with the VP of manufacturing to implement and maintain an ERP system consistent with the cost management capabilities of the organization.
- Develops, implements and maintains a cost accounting system.
- Develops, implements and maintains a project accounting in an aerospace company environment
- Collect data to determine costs of business activity such as procurement, inventory and labor; analyzes data obtained and records results at the company GL and project level.
- Collects data, allocates costs and prepares reports on labor, assembly or other operating expenses ensuring established procedures are followed, including OH rates and factors.
- Oversee the cost system for accuracy, completeness, timeliness and quality.
- Prepares journal entries, maintains and reconciles ledger accounts.
- Prepare various month-end reports and assist with the month-end review.
- Perform closing duties such as cost allocation entries and inventory reconciliations.
- Analyzes changes in product design, raw materials, manufacturing methods, or services provided to determine effects on costs and unit economics.
- Identify leading indicators in support of analyzing actual manufacturing costs to estimated / budgeted production costs at the project and GL level.
- Analyze manufacturing variances ensuring that impacts to the general ledger are booked correctly at the project and GL level.
- Performs analysis and prepares special reports.
- Coordinates all physical inventory company-wide including customer and supplier locations
- Acts as liaison to auditors for all inventory and manufacturing concerns.
Why We Value You
- Problem-solver - you enjoy being presented with problems, because you deliver solutions and enjoy doing whatever it takes to execute and deliver results.
- Accountable - you take ownership over outcomes and are comfortable owning some of our most important public facing information.
- Self-starter - you take initiative and thrive in environments that require you to wear multiple hats.
- Builder - you enjoy building and rebuilding processes and building relationships to drive consensus across teams, influence decision making, and develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Analytical - you know the highest impact questions to ask and can dive into the data and do the analysis required to answer those questions.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required.
- Professional certification (CPA/CMA/Qualified Accounting certificate) preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience in Accounting preferably in a large manufacturing environment with evidence of exceptional ability
- Ability to understand the manufacturing environment and the associated financial processes; Knowledge of supply chain, receiving, inventory flow, operations process and manufacturing principles
- Strong ability to assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- Ability to effectively analyze transactional level detail in an enterprise resource planning system and articulate the key findings to management
- Strong business skills and effective understanding of financial, distribution and manufacturing systems
- Ability to multi-task and drive actions to completion under strict deadlines.
- Must be able to collaborate and build positive relationships with other teams within Finance as well as cross-functionally outside Finance to effectively make recommendations, implement process improvements, etc.
- Positive “can do” attitude and highly analytical; enjoys challenges
- Detail oriented and comfortable working with large data sets
- Action-oriented and solution-driven with the ability to thrive in a fast pace environment
Salary and Benefits
We're competitive in compensation and offer equity as part of the package. We have great benefits that include health, vision, dental, and 401K in comparison to other startups. We offer hot lunch every day and there's plenty of snacks and drinks to get you through the day. We celebrate our accomplishments with quarterly off-sites and frequent happy hours.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
ITAR Requirements: To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.