5 - 7 years
Posted 294 days ago
The Optimization and Control Group within the Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is currently seeking a Senior Controls Research Engineer. This position will be part of a technical team investigating the area of control systems with an emphasis on building systems research and engineering. The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate control systems expertise including theoretical investigations, technology development and technology demonstration. The application areas of interest on building systems research include: control methods for building HVAC equipment, HVAC and building systems, automated fault detection and diagnosis for building systems, building energy management, decision support for building system operation and maintenance, integrated operation between building systems and the power grid, safety and security systems, and cyber-physical systems.
The successful candidate will be a proactive, highly motivated self-starter with proven capability to work in teams and is expected to demonstrate expertise in one or more of the following technical areas: optimization and optimization based control, system identification and model reduction, learning-based adaptive control, control systems engineering including control oriented system design, distributed/decentralized control, machine learning and data analytics applied to physical systems, estimation and fault detection, diagnosis and prognosis, uncertainty quantification, game theory and economics, building systems modeling and simulation, and fluid dynamics and simulation.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Serve as a technical contributor, task lead, PI, or Co-PI on multiple significant projects or tasks. This will include:
• Defining technical scope, coordinating research execution, as well as conducting hands-on research activities.
• Developing and implementing project management plans. The candidate will work with senior project managers in defining technical scope, execution schedules, and developing budgets for these projects. This will include an evolving level of responsibility for establishing task technical direction and client interactions.
• Working independently with minimal oversight, to ensure the roles and activities of the staff are consistent with the goals of the Laboratory.
• Participating in writing and/or providing technical input for proposals and tasks/projects/programs.
• Serving as a technical resource and mentor to staff across the division.
• Providing technical input and leading all or portions of large, complex, formal documents, such as project reports. Serving as lead author on journal articles, conference papers, and presentations.
• Participating in professional activities and establishing external collaborations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
• Bachelor’s degree with 7 years of experience, a Master’s degree with 5 years of experience, or a PhD with 3 years of experience.
• Technical expert who selects and widely applies principles, theories and concepts in major field of specialization.
• Prefer minimum of Master’s degree in electrical, mechanical or chemical engineering, or computer science or with 4+ years of experience depending on the level.
• Fully competent in one or more of the following areas: optimization and optimization based control, system identification and model reduction, adaptive and learning based control, control systems engineering including control oriented system design, distributed/decentralized control, machine learning and data analytics applied to physical systems, estimation and fault detection, diagnosis and prognosis, game theory and economics, building systems modeling and simulation, and fluid dynamics and simulation.
• Control software development and testing experience, embedded software development, working experience with building systems simulation tools.
• Proficiency in MATLAB, Python and/or Julia and familiarity with publicly available software libraries for control, data analytics and optimization.
• Demonstrated experience in selecting and widely applying principles, theories and concepts in major field of specialization.
• Demonstrated experience in building control systems research or engineering contributing to multiple projects and leading tasks on major projects with multi-disciplinary teams; commensurate project management skills in scoping, scheduling, and budgeting.
• Demonstrated innovations in framing approaches and solutions to complex problems in the forms of proposals, software, documents or other work products.
• Knowledgeable of current challenges in building controls and related areas.
• Able to articulate complex topics and ideas to a wide range of audiences internally and externally, in terms of the goals, parameters, objectives and outcomes of the research.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307057