We believe in the power of people. We are a network strategy and technology company that is motivated by making a difference in people’s lives – their productivity, their creativity, their health and comfort. That’s why we design and implement technologies and services that result in great outcomes.
We are looking for an individual with significant experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, excellent communications skills, good judgement, strong business acumen, and a passion for quality and improvement, to join the Legal Department team responsible for managing contracts with Ciena’s suppliers. The Contracts Professional will be responsible for the review, drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements with suppliers in support of Ciena’s business and operations globally. The Contracts Professional will also assist with a wide variety of the other matters that are part of the work of an in-house Legal Department.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the review, drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements with Ciena’s suppliers of components, technology, software and services, working in cooperation with the Procurement organization
- Counsel and advise key internal stakeholders on the most effective solution while balancing the business needs and company risk
- Identify ambiguities, risks and potential issues associated with contemplated transactions, and advise internal clients and stakeholders on strategies to ameliorate risks and resolve issues
- Assist in the management of all legal issues associated with Ciena’s supply side, (these include issues such as counterfeit parts avoidance, conflict minerals, anti-bribery training and diligence, anti-slavery, data privacy)
- Assist in the development and maintenance of contracttemplates and management tools such as minimum terms documents, annotated templates and back-off positions
- Lead and/or participate in strategic projects, as required
- Mentor or provide guidance to members of Legal Department
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated expert capability and experience in complex commercial contract drafting and negotiations in a corporate environment
- Several years’ experience as part of or in support to corporate legal or commercial contract teams
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to interact with and provide timely and effective advice to all levels of corporate stakeholders
- Strong business acumen and analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to exercise good business judgment and make sound decisions
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Intellectual curiosity and general interest in developing new skills
- Ability to organize time and tasks well and work independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritize work flow based on the company’s business objectives and priorities
- Willingness to “jump in” and support other team members
- Team player with a commitment to excellence
Education and Relevant Experience:
- Four-yearbachelor’s degree program
- Candidates with JDpreferred but not required if individual has significant experience with commercial contracts
- Several years’ experience in commercial contract drafting and negotiations
- Education in business administration, a related discipline or relevant work experience
The Ciena Experience:
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Make no mistake that we’re committed to developing leading networktechnology. But our path to innovation stems from our culture and outstanding people. We embrace diversity, celebrate inclusion, and champion ideas—across the table and around the world. This is the Ciena network. You won’t find complex organization charts and stiff protocols here! Innovation travels faster in an atmosphere where ideas can be freely discussed and brainstormed on the fly. A big part of work is about enjoying more satisfying outcomes—both personal and professional.
Becoming a Ciena employee:
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion.
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender and age.
Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Tracking Code R006302