Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Work closely with the Sourcing group to ensure sourced supplier contracts are structured with appropriate risk allocation provisions and mechanisms to assure the supplier’s performance in meeting BB&T’s business objectives within the agreed costs and schedules.
2. Develop negotiation strategy and lead negotiation of complex supplier contracts. Establish and maintain a strong working relationship with the Sourcing group, lines of business and suppliers to optimize negotiations. Function as expert on selected areas and issues. End result is to incorporate improved supplier service, savings, and to minimize contractual risks. Update contracts as BB&T discovers contract related issues.
3. Maintain a strong working knowledge of contract management guidelines related to supplier contracts, and customize legal contract language within those guidelines to address specific business issues. Draft non-standard contract terms and conditions to ensure contract provisions meet corporate objectives. Provide authoritative guidance to internal business teams on corporate goals and objectives relating to contract activity. Provide a liaison/coordination role between suppliers, corporate legal staff and lines of business as needed, in the areas of contract negotiation.
4. Provide supplier contract review services and coordination of contract dispositions related to mergers and acquisitions.
5. Research, evaluate, and recommend contract management process improvements.
6. May mentor and train less experienced department members.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor's degree in business or related field or equivalent education and related training
2. Five years of experience in contract management or closely related field
3. Legal aptitude and understanding of relationships between and among contract provisions
4. Strong leadership skills with the ability to create fact-based recommendations in order to positively influence diverse teams to achieve desired contractual results
5. Good presentation, leadership and team-building skills
6. Excellent relationship management skills to work successfully across the corporation and to quickly gain the trust and confidence of Senior Leadership Team
7. Use of independent judgment and creativity applied to resolution of contract issues
8. Strong communication skills with the ability to explain contractual provisions in easy-to-understand business terms
9. Strong negotiating, interpersonal and analytical skills, professional attitude, and ability to interact with senior management personnel
10. Ability to travel as needed, occasionally overnight
1. JD preferred