Discover your opportunity with Union Bank® and become a part of one of the world’s leading financial groups. Union Bank is a member of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the world’s 5th largest financial group in the world with total assets of over $2.4 trillion (as ranked by SNL Financial, April 2016) and 140,000 colleagues in nearly 50 countries. In the U.S., we’re 13,000 strong, working together to positively impact every customer, organization, and community we serve. At Union Bank, we aim to be the premier and most-trusted West Coast bank, serving customers with high-touch, local delivery and global capabilities as we leverage our rich, 150-year history. This is all part of our inclusive, high-performing culture supported by competitive Total Rewards, including our cash balance pension plan. Join a team that’s working to fulfill its vision to be the world’s most trusted financial group.
The Senior Operational Risk Analyst will primarily support the Operational Risk Process Manager with all risk activities related to Consumer Banking. Major responsibilities will include: Risk Assessment, Control Evaluation, and Quality Assurance
- Perform independent review and validation of issue remediation submissions.
- Identify risk trends and/or symptoms of process control breakdowns.
- Develop and execute testing scripts to assess control design and control effectiveness.
- Coordinate testing activities with related unit management.
- Assess results of testing performed to determine areas for potential improvement.
- Document testing results in the system of record.
- Identify and communicate emerging risks.
- Participate on ad-hoc working groups to address and resolve new areas of risk within the business areas of responsibility as requested by BURM.
- Work with data to develop key risk metrics to monitor where key risks are changing.
- Assess losses for association to risks and processes.
- Perform independent quality assurance procedures.
- Perform risk research and analysis and formulate recommendations to make internal processes more efficient.
Documentation and Reporting
- Design and deliver various reporting related to issue remediation activities.
- Assess, track, and report results for various risk management reports for BURM's areas of responsibility in assigned business area.
Training, Communication, Committee Meeting Participation & Special Projects
- Identify training needs associated with issue remediation or control deficiencies as identified through the quality assurance work.
- Coordinate communication within business units.
- Ad hoc or special project management responsibilities.
- Represent BURM on committees related to entity-wide risks.
- Respond to questions from senior management.
At a minimum, the right candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Typically requires a BA or BS degree
- 5+ years’ experience in operations management, internal or external audit, or other risk management functions within a financial institution.
- Ability to use sound judgement to resolve issues and facilitate progress against objectives.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must be highly proficient with Microsoft Power Point, Excel, and Visio.
- Experience with a variety of reporting tools a plus (e.g., Business Objects).
- Must be flexible and able to balance several priorities at once.
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment.
- Demonstrated abilities in end-to-end process flow development, identification and documentation of operational risks and controls, and controls testing.
- Experience with developing or monitoring key risk indicator (KRIs) metrics.
- Ability to build relationships with people at all levels.
- Ability to present and interact with all levels of management including executive leadership.
- Experience in financial institutions and finance organizations is desired.
- Experience in public accounting, audit, and/or professional services is desired.
- Experience in Information Technology process testing is desired.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category. A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it’s the bank’s policy to only inquire into a candidate’s criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.