In this position, you will be a member of the Group Retirement Services (GRS) Finance team; instrumental in providing insights to support GRS's Defined Contributions strategic decisions through rigorous business and financial analysis and thinking, including providing support for key GRS initiatives such as the Cost-To-Service (CT) project. The Senior Consultant will be designing databases in order to mine GRS sponsor and member level data to draw out new business insights utilizing statistical tools and techniques that help drive bottom line results; in such applications as advisor and sponsor profitability management, fund management, cash flow analysis, and pricing trends and strategies.
Successful candidates will possess deep analytical capabilities, drive to actionable recommendations and demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively across functional teams. Additionally, the candidate will be passionate for achieving practical business impact and is comfortable organizing and presenting insights.
This role reports to the Director, Business Analytics.
What will you do?
- Design and implement an analytical framework to respond to key business issues and business projects
- Lead the analysis of levers for profitability growth (fund, member and client level)
- Identify trends and gaps through analysis of operational metrics
- Lead the tracking and reporting of key internal business intelligence metrics
- Work with partners to ensure pulling of most promising levers in upcoming campaigns
- Identify and discover revenue or profit opportunities of the GRS Defined Contribution business through business and strategic analysis
- Assist in the development of a data management structure and the tools to support insights on our client base
- Collaborate with data experts (finance and analytics resources) to build and extract appropriate and accurate data sets to support complex analyses of business results
- Apply statistical analysis to ensure reliability of analyses and credibility and viability of conclusions and recommendations presented to management and business stakeholders
- Perform sensitivity & financial impact analyses to monitor and evaluate the financial performance on proposed strategies
- Synthesize large amounts of complex data from multiple sources, extrapolate appropriate information and develop simple and easy-to-understand explanations of business results in engaging and meaningful ways
- Use data to identify trends and relationships in the GRS client base and the client population as a whole
- Support the design and delivery of data, tools and solutions required to perform best-in-class analytics
What will you need to succeed in this role?
- 7+ years of experience working in a finance or data/business analytics role at a major corporation
- University degree in statistics, mathematics or finance
- Comfortable writing complex SQL/SAS queries to extract, manipulate and integrate data from multiple database sources, and experienced in Python
- Experience in Python, or other languages used in data manipulation
- Experience leading projects and/or team members
- 4+ years in data science descriptive techniques (i.e., quantitative analysis experience, including handling, manipulating and analyzing data and creating analytical reports)
- Advanced user of Excel, proficient with PowerPoint and Tableau
- Solid understanding of statistical models and applications
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven ability to work well independently, but also function in a team environment, with frequent contact with people at all levels of the SLF Canada organization
- Resourcefulness and perseverance to find data from whatever sources are available
- Ability to draw and communicate key insights from data
- Strong verbal, written communication and presentation skills; ability to summarize complex matters in simple manner
- Comfortable working with ambiguity, ability to take initiative, manage multiple priorities and work in a fast-paced environment
Must be able to attain Canadian Reliability Security Clearance (administered by submitting fingerprints to the RCMP, who then conduct min. 5 year history checks)
What's in it for you?
- Competitive salary and bonus structure influenced by market range data
- 4 weeks vacation
- A friendly, collaborative and inclusive culture
- Being part of our Analytics community, where we share best practices and broaden skill-sets
- Knowledge of the Defined ContributionDC (what is the full form?) recordkeeping business or past experience in life insurance/wealth management, or other financial services industry (e.g., retail banking, credit card, property and casualty insurance)
- Knowledge and/or experience with data models, data mining, segmentation techniques, predictive and prescriptive techniques (i.e., regression, decision trees, deep learning etc.)