WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 34,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Construction Inspector to join our PM Projects Department department, located at our Toronto project office. Reporting to the Construction Site Manager this position will be responsible for inspection, examination, on-site work acceptance and preparation of reports for work progress on assigned constructioncontracts for a transit project including fire alarm replacements, garage ventilation upgrades and track expansions & alterations. These projects have an estimated value in excess of $90M and as the authorized representative of the CSM, you will ensure that construction work is performed in accordance with the contract plans and specifications, as well as with applicable codes and safety regulations.
- Understand and interpret the requirements and details of the contract drawings and specifications;
- Understand the contractor’s obligations and the client’s responsibilities under the contract;
- Inspect the work according to the required established frequency; examine (measuring, testing) the work to the detail required to ensure contract compliance;
- Identify and act on any site, contractual and regulatory infractions (for safety, security, operational efficiency, customer convenience, etc.);
- Assist with the administration of the constructioncontracts; monitoring the constructed product for quality assurance;
- Act as a liaison between the contractor, internal staff, utility companies, local municipalities, etc. as required;
- Certain assignments may require that you work outside of normal work hours;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of a (3 year) community college program in a relevant engineeringtechnology discipline, architectural technology, or through the possession of a Certificate of Qualification in a skilled constructiontrade, or the equivalent;
- Minimum of 10 years of directly related experience in the inspection of large, multi-discipline and/or heavy construction capital projects;
- Must have sound knowledge of constructioninspection and management principles, practices and techniques, as well as knowledge of construction products, materials and equipment.
- Requires specialist expertise in the civil/structural discipline.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, and regulations for construction projects, as well as the Commission’s safety policies and procedures applicable to the constructioncontract.
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
- Must possess sound judgement; strong organizational, administrative, observational and problem solving skills; effective interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills.
- Requires experience in support of excavation (SOE) and/or heavy underground construction O.A.C.E.T.T. certification as an Engineering Technologist would be an asset.
- 15years experience on transit constructioncontracts involving:
- civil works (fire main/domestic water main), microtunneling, subway track work, demolition/removals, shoring/underpinning, impacted soils handling, traffic control, subway yard operations.
- roofing, crane staging/lifting procedures, rooftop MUA’s, ventilation systems (HVAC units), ductwork, bus garage operations
- structural steel, office finishes, fire suppression systems/fire alarm systems, plumbing, conveying systems (lifts, hoists, turntables), electrical (installation and testing – lighting control systems, traction power pendant supply system, etc.), communication systems, Subway Carhouse operations.
- 10 years familiarity with:
- Transit Construction Department forms and procedures.
- Transit Construction Department computer programs (DFTS, Sharepoint, MAXIMO, etc.)
- Subway track work and operating systems (signals, electrical, communications).
- Subway Rule Book – power cuts, work zones, PPE, track safety equipment.
- Transit Departments and resource contacts – Wiring Services, Track & Structures, Communications, Bus and Subway Operations, Signals, ATC, Sub-stations, Plant Maintenance, Fire Prevention, etc.