- The Sr. Compliance Testing Manager is responsible for the managing and leading of compliance testing engagements utilizing a risk based approach in line with department standards to ensure the Bank's compliance with applicable laws, rules & regulations. The Sr. Compliance Testing Manager is also responsible for the oversight and coaching of team members to deliver a quality product in line with department standards. As a member of the Compliance Testing Group Senior Management Team, this leadership role supports the development of the annual testing plan, continued enhancements to testing methodology, ongoing stakeholder engagement, talent management, and overall promotion of the Compliance Testing Group within the organization. This position requires interaction with senior levels of management.
- Interface with all levels of management, including senior management, on all aspects of compliance testing.
- Perform compliance testing in accordance with department and professional standards.
- Lead a team that specifically conducts periodic business unit compliance control identification and testing of identified controls.
- Manage all phases of testing, including multiple simultaneous testing engagements across multiple testing portfolios, ensuring that testing engagements are completed within established timeframes and/or provide early escalation to anticipated delays to management.
- Support the annual risk assessment and testing plan development processes to determine testing coverage.
- Review and communicate substantive testing findings and control execution weaknesses to all levels of compliance and business unit management.
- Lead and moderate collaborative testing team discussions with all levels of management where judgment and opinions are effectively challenged.
- Review and finalize tiering of test findings prior to communication to respective impacted and interested parties.
- Lead or moderate discussions with business units and compliance groups to ensure consistent understanding of requirements.
- Responsibilities may also include system administrative duties such as maintenance, validation, and/or updating in the compliance data management system (Archer).
- Review Planning, Test Scoping and Execution and Reporting for each respective testable unit, and provide related feedback, coaching, and mentoring.
- Build a strong working relationship with senior level Internal Audit, Business Units, and Corporate Compliance Portfolio Managers.
- Encourage integrated testing approaches with the data & systems team, and make suggestions on testing approaches to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of testing procedures.
- Serve as knowledge resource for all staff.
- Oversee a team of Managers and Analysts with responsibility for conducting periodic business unit compliance testing. This includes the identification and testing of applicable processes and controls that support compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Provide advisory and consulting services to Bank Management on risk and control matters.
- Maintain a comprehensive working knowledge of regulatory requirements to ensure an appropriate level of testing.
- Provide feedback to team members regarding assessments of business unit process and controls and respective risk focused input on effectiveness and efficiency of testing approach.
- Independently document and assess all levels of test scripts.
- Assist the Director of Compliance Testing with special projects and department wide initiatives.
- Oversee budget for travel and training.
- Multitask assignments and meet established deadlines.
- Adhere to applicable compliance/operational risk controls in accordance with Company or regulatory standards and policies.
- Understand and adhere to the Company's risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company's Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related findings needing escalation to a Manager.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
- Exercise usual authority of a manager concerning staffing, performance appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations, performance management and terminations.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- The position works under general supervision of the Director of Compliance Testing, and is required to exercise independent judgment and discretion.
- The position collaborates extensively with (a) Corporate Compliance subject matter deputies (PCMs) to gain an appropriate understanding of applicable regulatory requirements, (b) business unit staff and PCMs to understand work flows and processes, and (c) Internal Audit as a resource for review and coordination of testing plans and methods. The position interacts with external contacts including Bank Supervisors/Examiners, attorneys, and peers at other institutions. Builds strong partnerships with business stakeholders and other compliance team members.
Supervisory/ Managerial Responsibilities:
- Manage a team of 5 - 10 comprised of Testing Managers and Analysts.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in a business-related curriculum and a minimum of 7 years relevant work experience (Compliance, Audit or Risk Management), inclusive of 3 years' supervisory experience, OR in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 11 years' higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 7 years' relevant work experience and 3 years' supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and coaching experience.
- Ability to read and understand laws, regulations, and common law applicable to subject matter.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Must have banking and compliance knowledge, the ability to exercise sound judgment, and to observe the highest degree of confidentiality in the handling of information received in the course of their responsibilities.
- Sound understanding of financial services functions.
- Possess regulatory subject matter expertise for the respective portfolio being managed.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to senior level management with an approachable style.
- Possess strong project management skills, making sound decisions, and exhibiting initiative and critical thinking.
- Strong proficiency with spreadsheet, presentation, and word processing software.
- Possess effective negotiation skills.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- MBA or Master's Degree in an appropriate field
- Some familiarity with, and the ability to quickly learn, the organizations, operations, systems, and practices throughout all business units within M&T Bank Corporation.
- Skill to diplomatically deal with and respond to requests from bank examiners.
- Related certifications (CPA, CIA, CISA, CAMS or similar certifications)
Valid Through: 2019-10-21