The essential functions and responsibilities of this job position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for being familiar with and staying informed of state legal/regulatory requirements within scope of RCM program (e.g., privacy requirements applicable to Sun Life’s U.S. business). Works with various business units to keep RCM reporting up-to-date. Involves organizing information, calendaring, drafting, and timely submitting periodic reports under the supervision of senior compliance staff.
- Responsible for summarizing new legislative and regulatory requirements impacting relevant business areas, leveraging various databases, communicating information to appropriate business and compliance contacts, working with attorneys, as needed, to address questions from business areas, and drafting summaries of new legal requirements impacting the businesses. This will also include interaction with business unit staff in relation to timelines, challenges and other concerns.
- Provide general support to compliance staff, including research, responses to regulatory requests and other needs. Maintains current templates and databases of Stop Loss regulations. Assist with and lead related business and regulatory projects (e.g., state examinations, regulatory inquiries/reviews, complaints, etc…).
- Contributes to efficient organization of information and processes by leveraging effective innovative tools. Takes initiative to investigate and escalate opportunities for time/cost savings through improved processes and/or systems. Brighter Way training is considered a plus
- Interpret Market Conduct exam and Regulatory reporting requests from Regulators. Participate in development of responsive documentation and quality control before release to regulators.
- Perform testing in concert with Business Unit Compliance Officers, of items identified as requiring monitoring and/or corrective actions.
- Participate in compliance projects that result from issues identified through exams or Compliance tests.
- Assess levels of compliance required and identify areas of regulatory and/or reputational risk and evaluate alternative solutions.
- Perform database searches and participate in industry associations, to identify and assist with risk rating current compliance issues.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- 5+ years compliance, risk, audit, legal or operational experience, in a regulated industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree, professional certificate or equivalent experience in regulatory matters.
- Highly organized, precise, proactive, and capable of multitasking.
- Understands the importance of deadlines and discretion in dealing with issues of a sensitive nature.
- Eager to learn and a quick study.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Word, Powerpoint, Excel, WestLaw, JIRA and NILS.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to interact well with other Compliance staff, business clients and external constituencies.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to work independently.
- Exceptional organizational abilities and time management.
- Strong attention to details and deadlines.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience in a life and health insurance company or other regulated financial services industry is desirable.
- Systems and/or data skills a plus.