The person in this position is responsible for obtaining and maintaining licenses for the Company by providing analytical and technical expertise and nurturing relationships with regulatory agencies. This position also provides administrative, clerical, technical, and operational support to the Legal Department and acts as a liaison between business units, regulatory agencies, outside counsel and the Legal Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtain and maintain licenses for all jurisdictions. Research legal and regulatory requirements and complete appropriate applications for growth jurisdictions as directed.
- Manage, maintain, and prepare filings and reports. Research and complete appropriate filings and reports as assigned.
- Accurately research requirements, investigate (gather information), compose and prepare drafts, proofread and finalize applications, correspondence, reports, filings, memorandums, pleadings, contracts, policies, forms, presentation materials, and other documents.
- Maintain calendar and scheduling timelines for licensing, and regulatory reporting and filings.
- Perform regulatory research related to the Company's operations. Maintain a working knowledge of relevant issues, laws, and regulations. Keep informed on changes in relevant laws.
- Support and assist the business regarding new and existing business practices, policies and procedures, and legal/regulatory requirements that apply to compliance questions, initiatives, products, and services. Advise and assist the business on implementing and executing such guidance.
- Maintain an appropriate records management process related to licensing, reporting, filings, and legal documents, which is consistent with the Company's Records Management policies and procedures.
- Assist in maintaining and expanding the visibility of the Company's Compliance Program at all levels within the Company; recommend and implement compliance initiatives that match the regulatory environment and assist in evaluating Company processes for compliance impact.
- Receive regulatory inquiries, research/investigate the issue, prepare response, and/or route for response.
- Receive, date-stamp, review, distribute and/or file mail, e-mail, and faxes daily, and organize, respond, and/or calendar accordingly. Must be able to read and interpret information and documents and ensure the issue(s) is resolved.
- Serve as a liaison, as needed, and communicate in a professional manner in person, by telephone, e-mail, memoranda, and written correspondence within the Company and with outside regulators, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Participate and complete assigned projects by initiating, developing, and organizing the execution of projects in a timely manner with minimal direction. Must be able to multi-task and prioritize.
- Track on-going events and meet regularly with supervisor or assigned attorney to discuss and provide status updates. Follow-up on matters until resolved.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- College degree, preferably in business, legal or related fields, or combination of education and demonstrated experience in a law office environment or insurance compliance program.
- 5 years' experience with insurance company licensing, reporting and/or filing; regulatory research, requirements, practices and procedures; as well as general compliance practices.
- Previous experience with an insurance company or in the insurance industry.
- Strong analytical skills, with a technical aptitude.
- Excellent oral and written communication, listening, interpersonal, customer service and telephone skills.
- Above average computer skills including data entry, word processing and spreadsheet program.
- Ability to research, analyze and communicate legal, regulatory and compliance issues.
- May require travel to other locations or offices infrequently.
- Experience with insurance holding company filings is preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for the requirements listed above.
- Professional Compliance Certification (i.e. through SCCE, AICP, LOMA, etc.) or Paralegal certification required.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- This job operates in a professional office environment; this role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some mobility is required
- May work early, late, or occasional weekend hours to accommodate business needs
- Occasional lifting of a maximum of 30lbs.
- Minimal travel to other office locations/meeting locations occasionally necessary
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.