The following sets forth the primary responsibilities of this job, but is not an exhaustive list. The Company, through its managers and supervisors, reserves the right to assign any additional duties necessary to meet the needs of our clients, employees and/or shareholders.
- Oversees the coordination of the day to day payroll operations and accuracy of the payroll.
- Functions as subject matter expert in areas of multi-state payroll wage and hour laws and department operations to accurately communicate payroll wage and tax information, payroll procedures, garnishments and payroll system functionality.
- Documents payroll processes and procedures; may train payroll department staff.
- Applies in-depth expertise of the payroll system functionality to independently perform system maintenance, including earnings and benefit code creation, general ledger mapping and research and resolve payroll issues, including all vendor systems and processes.
- Develops and performs maintenance on payroll report writing structure to efficiently and accurately retrieve data.
- Proactively troubleshoots and resolve payroll anomalies.
- Partners with payroll department in the auditing of bi-weekly and monthly payroll cycles before payrolls are released for processing.
- Serves as backup for the Manager, Compensation Accounting when required.
- Works closely with internal staff and vendors to ensure benefit funding is processed, accurate funding occurs for all accounts, tax remittance and general ledger balancing month-end close.
- Performs vendor reconciliations.
- Ensures all audits, payments are completed accurately and in timely manner in accordance with payroll processing checklist.
- Responsible for maintaining payroll internal controls; ensuring proper procedures, policies, and rules are applied to payroll activities.
- Monitors legal and policy changes and conducts periodic self-audits of payroll.
- Assists with the year-end processing to provide accurate W2's.
- Lead or assist with various annual audits such as 401k, worker's compensation and internal records.
- Collaborates with internal and external business partners to test new functional system enhancements, system updates and integrations.
- Participates in payroll projects and opportunities as assigned.
Educational Knowledge and/or Professional Experience:
- 5+ years of multi-state payroll experience; including payroll law, wage garnishment compliance and worker’s compensation
- A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business, finance or related field
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, in particular Microsoft Excel including advanced formulas functions (v-lookups, Pivot tables, IF statements)
- CPP certification a plus
- Experience with Workday and/or ADP payroll systems
- Experience with Accounting processes and month-end close including Journal entries and reconciliations as it relates to payroll
Skills and Abilities:
The following is intended to give an overview of the requirements of the position, but is not an exhaustive list.
- Demonstrated analytical thinking and problem solving skills along with organizational skills, attention to details, and mathematical skills required
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Plans, organizes and prioritizes tasks and schedule to meet critical deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate amongst team members to achieve objectives
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations; and an ability to effectively deal with employees at all levels, including top management
- Demonstrates a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done