The Senior Commissioning Engineer will lead and execute commissioning, retro-commissioning, monitoring-based commissioning, energy efficiency retrofit, and demand response projects for complex buildings and systems in the mission critical, healthcare, laboratory, aviation, manufacturing, higher education, commercial building, water & waste water and onsite energy markets. The Senior Commissioning Engineer will work with the project team throughout the commissioning process, adapting commissioning plans to budget constrains, design factors or client needs.
- Lead the development of energy efficiency projects from initial identification and evaluation through installation and measurement and verification.
- Develop concept designs and sequence of operations for energy efficiency projects.
- Perform on-site testing of HVAC, lighting, power, and control systems in new and existing buildings in conjunction with operation and maintenance and contractor personnel.
- Lead the monitoring of HVAC systems with building automation systems and stand-alone data loggers to troubleshoot operational problems or to find inefficient control sequences.
- Responsible for the development of on-site ASHRAE energy audits and condition assessments to identify applicable and cost-effective energy efficiency and demand response measures.
- Lead energy savings and cost analysis for energy efficiency and demand response measures.
- Plan, schedule, and perform work for mid to large size projects and programs.
- Prioritize energy and operational improvements based on budgets, relative cost Vs. benefits, and likelihood of acceptance for installation.
- Responsible for leading assessments, detailed evaluations, measurement and verification reports and retro-commissioning plans for existing facilities.
- Perform building energy use simulation for modeling alternatives to capture energy savings.
- Provide technical support to customers through the implementation process.
- Responsible for measurement and verification activities of installed projects.
- Lead design reviews and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Responsible for maintaining detailed and accurate commissioning project records including data, documentation and reports.
- Review commissioning operating modes, sequence of operations and specifics of equipment, operations, and maintenance.
- Responsible for commissioning of new retro-fits and new and existing buildings.
- Develop and refine commissioning methodologies, tools, and standards in support of an evolving commissioning practice.
- Cultivate effective relationships with existing and potential key clients, customers and contractors to develop business.
- Actively participate in sales pursuits and proposal development.
- All other duties as assigned
- BS in Mechanical, Electrical or Architectural Engineering from an ABET accredited university is required.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) is preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years of direct or related experience with retro-commissioning, energy evaluation complex HVAC, lighting, power and control systems.
- Experience with new construction commissioning and/or commissioning of new retro-fits.
- Strong facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization and problem solving skills.
- Highly effective communicator with clear and concise writing and presentation skills.
- High level of attention to detail with ability to quality-review work.
- Proficient computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite).
- Ability to forensically evaluate energy-consuming systems and detect and evaluate deficiencies, quantify energy losses, and determine cost.
- Expert with different types of stand-alone monitoring equipment including flow and electrical meters and temperature loggers. Ability to evaluate and troubleshoot these systems.
- Knowledge of DOE-2, eQUEST, Energy Pro, and other modeling software.
- Certification in the Commissioning Process, as an Energy Manager, or LEED Accreditation a plus.
- Expert knowledge of site safety procedures, including electrical safety.
- Experience developing and managing work plans, schedules and budgets.
- Experience providing leadership to a diverse project team a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in combined heat and power/cogeneration, central utility plants, data centers, healthcare facilities, laboratories, water/wastewater facilities, controls, building envelope, TAB, NETA electrical testing, renewable energy and other specialties a plus.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain access authorization to facilities and data of existing and potential clients, including, but not limited to DOE, aerospace, military, food and consumer product manufacturers, pharmaceutical, laboratories, and others necessary to sell and complete work.
- Completion of/or ability to obtain OSHA 8 hour Safety Training Course is required.