LanzaTech is turning our global carbon crisis into a feedstock opportunity, with the potential to displace 30% of crude oil use today and reduce global CO2 emissions by 10%. LanzaTech’s carbon recycling technology is like retrofitting a brewery onto a steel mill’s emission source, and instead of using sugars and yeast to brew beer, bacteria ferments pollution into products! Imagine a day when you can power a plane by recycled carbon emissions and when your yoga pants or sneakers started life as pollution from a steel mill. This future is possible using LanzaTech technology, with the first 2 commercial units converting steel mill waste gases to fuels being built in China with Shougang and in Belgium with the world’s largest steel maker, ArcelorMittal. LanzaTech has an additional 3 commercial projects in the pipeline, in India, South Africa and California. LanzaTech has already produced synthetic jet fuel from recycled carbon emissions and has a partnership with Virgin Atlantic.
In March 2018, LanzaTech was recognized as the #1 Hottest company in the Advanced Bioeconomy for the third time by Biofuels Digest, the world’s most widely-read bioeconomy daily. The company was also inaugurated into the Cleantech100 Hall of Fame, having been listed in the top 100 cleantech companies over the last 7 years. In 2016, the company won the Young Global Leader Award for Circular Economy at the World Economic Forum, LanzaTech was also the top biofuels company in the 2016 CNBC Disruptor 50 Companies list. In 2015, LanzaTech was awarded the U.S. EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Award for Greener Synthetic Pathways. The company’s accomplishments were recognized through a number of prestigious awards in 2014, including the Guardian Sustainable Business Innovation Award for Carbon and Energy Management, Breakthrough Innovation Award at the Platts Global Metals Awards, and the Technical Development Award from the World Petroleum Council. In 2013, the company was named a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer.
About the role:
We are currently seeking a senior In-House Attorney to join a busy legal team. LanzaTech is working with exciting, new bio-technology and offers an excellent opportunity to join a fast-paced and ambitious organization that offers significant development opportunities. For the right individual this is the chance to be part of a company that has an immediate global reach and that believes in more than the bottom line.
You will work alongside the group’s General Counsel, providing advice, knowledge and support in all legal matters relating to the group’s worldwide business. As an early stage licensing and engineering business, this role will concentrate on the group’s commercial licensing transactions and internal operations, but will also involve mutual support of the group’s extensive investor transactions and corporate governance.
Commercial licensing transactions will require concise commercial-orientated advise on joint development contracts, engineering services agreement and process technology licenses, as well as advice on the group’s extensive government grants. Duties will extend beyond local and domestic transactions and a proven ability to work with international counterparties will be essential. Work will range from drafting from cloth through precedent development to engaging with significant industrial counterparties.
Internal operations will require embedding in the business in order to proactively support the teams in all aspects of operations, from human resources to finance and insurance to procurement.
LanzaTech is a fresh company in a novel field with a diverse workforce. For the candidate with the correct motivation, this role provides flexible office hours and business practices.
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts, with an emphasis on collaboration agreements, engineering services agreements and process technology licensing contracts. Providing expert and commercial advice on all legal risks and issues and engaging with significant industrial counterparties.
- Supporting business teams in all aspects of business development
- Developing new legal agreements covering the group’s new technologies and market opportunities
- Advising on government grant funding applications in numerous jurisdictions
- Advising business groups on strategy and execution of all aspects of the group’s operations, from human resources to procurement
- Developing repeatable and sustainable systems as business challenges are resolved
- The role will also be involved in various legal and corporate projects to drive business growth and group development
- Mutual support of the legal departments wider functions, including in the design, advising and execution of significant investor transactions
Qualifications and Experience:
- A qualified and practicing lawyer with approximately 5 – 8years’ experience*, excellent academics and experience and strong background in commercial legal practice
- Strong commercial acumen and communication skills and enjoy working in a fast-paced innovative environment
- Demonstrable experience working with international counterparties and in the international business environment
- Strong experience working with engineering services agreements, and process technology licenses
- An excellent commercial understanding of intellectual property issues with joint development contracts and process technology is essential
- Proven track record in documenting government grants
- Excellent knowledge of commercial contracts
- Experience in both private practice and in-house positions is preferable
- *The experience range is for guidance only and candidates outside of this range who have the requisite experience will also be considered.