As Counsel, Commercial and Product Counsel, you’ll work closely with the digital advertising team and advising on publisher-side issues, as well as engaging with engineering, business development, and operations to help solve thorny legal problems and enable the business to scale and grow. You’ll be drafting and negotiating digital advertising agreements, as well as a wide variety of commercial arrangements with other partners including retailer agreements.
You’ll also be providing sound legal advice to clients with respect to commercial terms, business operations, and product development. You’ll need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll your sleeves up and dig into tough legal problems to reach a creative solution.
Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customer that is absolutely magical. Join us!
ABOUT THE JOB
- Draft, negotiate, and implement major partner agreements, with publisher-side brand partners, as well as retail and vendor partners across all areas of the business.
- Emphasis on counseling on digital marketing issues; digital advertising publisher-side experience a must
- Work closely with our product and engineering teams, especially publisher-side digital advertising teams, to provide advice on legal issues during development of new products and features
- Track contract review requests and agreed upon business terms in executed agreements
- Provide strategic and legal advice to your internal business clients
- Lead and take charge of special legal projects from start to finish
- Implement strategic sourcing best practices
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Draft terms, policies, and disclosures, and implement related processes
- Create and update our form legal agreements
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for legal issues that may arise in the future
- A J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 6+ years of related experience working at a leading law firm or in-house legal department (in-house experience, especially at a digital publisher, tech company or retailer, a plus)
- Previous non-legal work experience in digital advertising, particularly on the publisher side, a plus
- A successful track record in effectively advising product teams, especially in the digital marketing space
- In-depth knowledge of legal issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce spaces (such as copyright, privacy, employment, SaaS, advertising, and payments) with a strong emphasis in digital marketing issues
- A strong history of managing strategic partner negotiations and contract drafting from start to finish
- Strong negotiation presence and the ability to lead teams working towards a goal
- Sound and practical business judgment and ability to manage multiple, high priority, competing priorities
- The ability to provide clear, concise legal advice, work effectively cross-functionally to drive to results
- Experience in corporate law, pharmaceutical law, alcohol law, and/or privacy and data security laws (including GDPR and US-EU Privacy Shield) a plus
- A team player