The Washington Post is seeking a Sr. Collections Specialist to join its Finance and Operations team. This team of specialists manage most of the account receivable for the Post, including Print and Digital Advertising, News Service & Syndicate, Corporate Circulation and Comprint Printing.
In this role, you'll focus on managing our receivables and risk, facilitating prompt payment turnaround by providing the top-notch customer service and resolutions to a multitude of customer concerns. A passion for uncovering customer needs, problem solving, and providing a positive experience for our internal and external partners is a must.
You'll collaborate with sales reps, customers, managers and internal stakeholders across multiple teams to identify, resolve and prevent issues that would slow down payment turnaround on accounts.
- Meet the organization's goals of strong financial performance and excellent customer service according to set objectives
- Facilitate the resolution of billing disputes with customers, sales reps, account managers and the billing team—all within tight time constraints
- Achieve monthly collection goals via effective collection calls and adherence to department policies and procedures
- Maintain daily updates and compile reconciliations on special handling accounts as needed
- Ensure allocations of adjustments and payments are conducted in a timely fashion
- Maintain confidentiality of company/customer information in all business dealings
- Process electronic check and credit card payments as needed on customer accounts
- Monitor delinquent advertising accounts and affect the collection of these accounts via telephone, e-mail and elevation to management as necessary
- Maintain a professional approach in dealing with customers, sales staff, and varying levels of management both inside and outside The Washington Post
- Prepare documents and files for referral to outside collection agencies
- Work closely with sales and service teams to ensure credits/adjustments are researched and processed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 5+ years of relevant experience (Credit, Collections, Customer Service, Billing)
- Commitment to excellence in collections and customer service
- Ability to deal professionally with internal/external customers
- Excellent skills in negotiation and oral/written communication
- Knowledge of and/or ability to quickly learn The Washington Post's rate, contract and marketing structure, as well as our sales, credit and customer service policies
- Ability to juggle demands, meet deadlines and make decisions in a fast-paced work setting
- Knowledge of accounting principles
- Strong Excel skills
- Experience with SAP