The role of Cloud Security Architect will be part of the Enterprise Information Security’s Optum State Government Security Services team responsible for cloud enablement for State Government customers. This role will be engaged on numerous projects to enhance, implement and automate cloud platform controls. In addition, as part of a highly agile and cross functional team, this role will lead security engineering projects that include but not limited to prototyping new technologies, tools and patterns for promoting digital healthcare in public cloud. Understanding cloud threats and driving to technical solutions enables the engineer to constant work on exciting challenges. As threats, regulatory requirements and business challenges change, this role will contribute to the manifestation of Optum’s control framework and contribute to engineering cloud controls as code, native cloud tool enablement and secure configurations. The Cloud Security Architect will be engaged with multiple Optum teams identifying new patterns and supporting the teams embrace cloud for healthcare.
- Architect, plan, and implement cloud security solutions that balance simplicity, standards, scalability, extensibility, supportability. Design, build and automate security controls and contribute to Infrastructure as Code enterprise repository
- Look for opportunities to automate security specification and verification in the delivery process
- Drive security execution within a cross-functional team to architect, engineer and implement security controls within AWS and Azure public cloud platforms. Build security practices in public cloud platforms and development pipelines using native and third-party capabilities
- Understand current and new cloud threats and engineering risk mitigation using cloud native tools
- Works in active partnership with technical stakeholders (solution, infrastructure, and application architects) to deliver security cloud governance
- Develops security cloud domain expertise and technical objectives that will enable successful and secure delivery of project and program goals, thereby supporting the growth and evolution of UnitedHealth Group
- Drive updates to cloud control matrix through new requirements driven through policy, regulatory and legal mandates and be able to rationalize them with various technology and business leaders
- Execute follow-through by helping projects and programs build capabilities that provide data required to support metrics
- Propose and implement secure configuration of public cloud workloads
- Support Product Owner and drive engineering solutions and security as code strategy
- Evaluate new cloud technologies and makes substantiated recommendations for improving security capabilities
- Participate and lead design sessions for workloads teams needing to understand cloud security patterns and protection profiles
- Support the engineering of secure technology solutions that adopt Secure DevOps, Cloud (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) in a healthcare industry
- Mentor and support the development of junior members of the team
- Strong communication skills to enable effective and meaningful information exchange between technical and non-technical people across multiple levels of organizational structure
- Excellent time management, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Able to work independently in complex and ambiguous environments and situations.
- Seven (7)+ years of Information Security experience is required; including three (3) years of Government related experience.
- Experience in software engineering
- Proven track record at delivering software solutions as part of an agile team
- Hold in good standing with security certifications such as: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), and/ or Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)
- Public cloud platform experience, securing workloads in AWS, Azure or GCP Commercial and Government Clouds
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- Cloud Vendor Certifications on AWS and Azure
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Information Security, Cybersecurity, Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent. Master’s Degree in a related field a plus.
- Experience designing and engineering secure solutions within IaaS/PaaS/SaaS cloud platforms
- Experience in application security, or as developer building secure applications
- Good understanding of cloud security frameworks and standards (NIST, CSA, ISO 27017/18 etc.)
- Good understanding of Federal and Regulatory standards like MARS-E, IRS 1075, HIPPA etc.
- Competent with technologies such as JSON, Python and/or Terraform
- Experience publishing engineering patterns or other reusable artifacts for cloud enablement
- Understanding of cyber security defense strategies for healthcare
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.SM
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.