Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Travelers Data Engineering team constructs pipelines that contextualize and provide easy access to data by the entire enterprise. As a Senior Data Engineer you will accelerate growth and transformation of our analytics landscape. You will bring a strong desire to guide team members' growth and develop data solutions that translate complex data into user-friendly terminology. You will leverage your ability to design, build and deploy data solutions that capture, explore, transform, and utilize data to support Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and business intelligence/insights.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Design, build and operationalize complex data solutions, data pipelines and processes to support Business Intelligence and Analyitcs user community in cloud.
- Guide business teams to adopt data solutions & pipelines and continuously improve them to meet business needs.
- Continually enhance data infrastructure and architecture to automate workflow, reduce costs, and scale data analysis.
- Act as a cloud technology advocate and identify ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality.
- Incorporate core data management competencies including data governance, data security and data quality.
- Perform data and system analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of high complexity and correct as appropriate.
- Collaborate across team to support delivery and educate end users on complex data products/analytic environment.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Five years of data engineering or equivalent experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM related field or equivalent.
- Minimum five years of experience as a Data Engineer.
- Minimum two years of experience using AWS cloud computing technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of tools, techniques, and manipulation including cloud platforms, programming languages, and modern software engineering practices.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Experience working in a data lake environment handling structured and unstructured data, leveraging data streaming, and developing data pipelines driven by events/queues.
- Experience designing and developing data management and data persistence solutions for applications leveraging databases (Relational and NoSQL).
- Experience building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages like Python, Java, etc.
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as CloudBees, Jenkins, Docker, Terraform, GitHub and deploying applications on AWS.
- Experience with configuring and/or utilizing monitoring/logging solutions for operations such as Cloud Watch, Collectd, logstash.
- Experience and familiarity of both Windows and UNIX operating systems.
- Have a passion for data, building data platforms, and enjoy solving complex data problems with modern, cloud-based technologies.
- Drive innovation and efficiency through new approaches.
- Ability to work in a team environment that promotes collaboration.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.