The Senior Clinical Veterinarian is key position with the Comparative Medicine Progam and is responsible for advancing excellence in veterinary care by providing diagnostic and clinical veterinary care for laboratory animals maintained in support of the HMRI research program. The clinical veterinarian also provides regulatory oversight to ensure compliance with all federal regulations and guidelines pertaining to the use of laboratory animals, including the FDA Good Laoratory Practise (GLP) regulations. In this capacity the veterinarian participates in research protocol creation, IACUC protocol review and facilitates work on research protocols to ensure the humane treatment of animals.
A high level of case management, organizational capabilities, and communication skill is essential for employee success.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodists Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
PEOPLE - 20 %
1. Trains, advises and mentors investigators, graduate students and technicians in the provision of outstanding care and use of laboratory animals.
2. Provides oversight and guidance to the technical veterinary personnel and animal care staff.
3. Exercises stong leadership skills to foster a team environment that demonstrates respect for every member of the department and promotes employee engagement and retention.
4. Established effective relationships with the research laboratories to ensure
SERVICE - 20 %
1. Establishes and maintains a comprehensive clinical program for all the HMRI animals used in research and teaching, including sentinel and quarantine programs, vendor screening, oversight of animal import and export, and diagnostics.
2. Provides assistance with anesthesia, surgical, post-op care, and technical support when requested for research activities using animals.
3. Participates in post approval monitoring of research protocols to ensure compliance with federal regulations and guidelines and the humane use of animals.
4. Investigates evidence based solutions to clinical and research problems, and publishes the results in peer reviewed journals.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
1. Actively manage special services offered by the department such as surgical service, rederivation, biosecurity and post-approval monitoring as assigned to ensure a high level of quality and and an investigator (customer) service focus.
2. Oversee documentation, SOP and policy development, record review, and QC monitoring of research projects within the animal facilities to ensure adherence to federal regulations and guidelines.
3. Perform veterinary pre-review of animal use protocols to ensure compliance with high quality animal care and animal welfare regulations and provides assistance to investigators with protocol development.
4. Activity participate on the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee either as a voting or alternate veterinarian and as the liaison between CMP and the Office of Research Protection.
FINANCE - 20 %
1. Oversees the distribution and accounting of controlled substances in accordance with HMRI and DEA regulations.
2. Identifies cost saving initiatives within the department and communicates recommendations.
3. Ensures cost recovery of billable time and supplies expended in support of research projects.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
1. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands.
2. Contribute to the academic advancement of laboratory animal medicine by publishing in peer-reviewed journals, presenting at national meetings, or performing professional service that advances laboratory animal medicine.
3. Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that improve the quality of animal care or service to HMRI investigators.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o DVM from an accredited school of veterinary medicine
o Minimum 8-15 years experience in the field of Laboratory Animal Medicine
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Board Certification American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM)
o Licensed to practice veterinary medicine in at least one state; must obtain state of Texas license to practice veterinary medicine within one year of hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Please add additional knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential functions.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Requires personnel management abilities and veterinary medical knowledge
o Expertise in laboratory animal medicine
o Ability to serve in a leadership role
o Familiarity with laws, policies, and regulations governing the use of animals in research
o Excellent communication skills
o Strong organizational and problem solving skills
o Excellent interpersonal skills
Job Ref # 37585