The Senior Clinical Genomics Scientist, R&D supports product development activities for curation and reporting process development. Makes detailed observations, interprets and analyzes data. Maintains a high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature.
- Work primarily with R&D Clinical Genomics to support curation/reporting product development activities.
- Perform duties with minimal to moderate supervision.
- Advise on variant classification protocols as needed.
- Participate in curation of gene panels and panel launches.
- Perform evaluations of third-party software services.
- Advise on design and implementation of quality control procedures for critical steps and processes.
- Write standard operating procedures (SOP) and other lab-related documents when necessary.
- Communicate and discuss results with a multidisciplinary team including laboratory directors, bioinformaticians, software engineers and managers.
- Learn and understand the science behind ongoing research projects while simultaneously completing increasingly complex tasks as specified by the manager/director.
- Develop plans, generate and advance new ideas; design and execute moderate to high complexity projects.
- Produce high-quality, reproducible results to a high technical standard.
- Maintain accurate and well-organized records, worksheets, and notebooks; summarize data in spreadsheets, graphs and presentations.
- Perform other tasks as specified by the manager/director.
- This role will have occasional access to PHI both in paper and electronic form and have occasional access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job.
- Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire.
- Must maintain a current status on Natera training requirements.
- The employee must pass a post-offer criminal background check.
- Master’s degree in molecular biology, tissue or cellular biology, genetics, or closely related field; PhD or genetic counselor preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of clinical curation experience post-PhD or minimum of 5 years post-MS.
- Product development experience is strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Solid understanding of genetic variant curation and/or interpretation of clinical relevance based on the AMP and ACMG guidelines.
- Familiarity with databases, tools, and resources commonly used in interpretation of genomic data.
- Excellent written communication skills to produce clear, concise and correct technical documentation.
- Strong ability to comprehend complex problems and apply knowledge in a solutions-oriented approach.
- Superb attention to detail, organized, and efficient; produces work of exceptional quality and accuracy.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, evolving environment; able to manage competing priorities.
- A proven ability to troubleshoot technical and scientific issues, both individually and as part of a team.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Duties are typically performed in an office setting.
- This position requires the ability to use a computer, keyboard, communication over phone and video conferencing.
- Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times.
- Travel required for this position: No _x_ or Yes ___