Senior Civil Engineer
START YOUR APPLICATION
VHB’s growing Williamsburg, VA team is looking for a Senior Civil Engineer to join our Land Development team.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We’re humble and genuine with an environment full of people that care about the communities we live and serve in. What we do directly impacts the safety and manner in which people live, commute and play.
- Great career growth track
- Continuing education and development opportunities
- Various professional committees and certification assistance options
- Volunteer opportunities with the office Charity committee and Green Team!
- Work within a team of professionals in developing site civil engineering plans and specifications for a multitude of land development and water resource projects.
- Assist in the preparation of land entitlement permitting documents
- Responsible for project task financial performance, and task management of small or medium projects
- Prepare and review drawings and specifications
- Prepare Schematic Design, Design Development, and Construction Contract Documentation
- Technical and Design Report writing
- Attend meetings with clients, regulatory agencies, and stakeholders to establish their needs and discuss engineering design/permitting issues with them
- Responsible for quality of work output
- Supervise design team activities during Construction Administration
- Manage small projects and assist managing medium or large projects
- Manage work and development of other staff
Like a challenge?
If you exhibit strong leadership skills, you will have a team to mentor and the opportunity to take our junior engineers to the next level all while getting the exposure to a project manager career path.
Skills and Abilities
- Have knowledge of and experience in all aspects of site civil engineering for residential and commercial site design including grading and drainage design, utility design site and roadway layout
- Be well versed in the use of AutoCAD Civil 3D Software.
- Have experience preparing plans and reports.
- Experience in hydraulic and hydrologic modeling is expected.
- Self-motivated with attention to details and ability to think critically. Must be able to work independently and as a part of project teams.
- Have a solid understanding of the typical land entitlement process in Virginia and Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area, including permitting at the local, state and federal level.
- Have an understanding of Virginia Department of Environmental Quality New Storm Water Management Regulations including Runoff Reduction Method and Spreadsheet, Water Quality and Water Quantity Control requirements, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Clearing House Standards and Erosion and Sediment Control Standards and permitting process.
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- 5+ years of civil engineering experience. Open to those with 10+ or 15+ years of experience
- BS in Civil Engineering.
- Have experience/proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D, Microstation, HydroCAD, Storm CAD, Sewer CAD, ICPM, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- GIS, ArcGIS and graphic software experience a plus.
We regret that we are unable to provide sponsorship for employment visa's at this time.
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 38 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.