- Plan and conduct independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria to the civil infrastructure of rail and highway transportation projects
- Prepare conceptual studies, designs, reports, proposals, value engineering studies or alternate technical concepts (ATCs) in accordance with Bechtel Engineering Procedures
- Coordinate design development with other departments which may include construction, estimating, project controls, procurement, and contracts management
- Perform standard engineering work planning, scheduling, and job hour estimating
- Monitor and ensure compliance with project budgets, schedules, quantities and quality requirements
- Provide technical direction and assign work to subordinate engineers, designers, and drafters who assist on specific assignments
- Review and check work of subordinate engineers
- Coordinate and integrate design work between engineering disciplines and other design entities
- Interface with clients and stakeholders to make presentations, define project requirements, and obtain contractual and statutory approvals
- Assist in on-the-job-training of assigned personnel and provide input for their performance evaluations.
- Prepare procurement and subcontract requisition documents and perform associated technical bid evaluations
- Prepare and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantity take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders
- Resolve technical issues with construction and travel to the field to assist as required
- Support the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and job satisfaction.
- Make business trips, or potentially relocate, to construction site, project office or client location as required
- Has broad working knowledge of precedents in civil infrastructure for rail and highway work and all relevant disciplines, including include rail alignments, track form, trackwork, grading and earthwork, storm water drainage, site development, existing utility relocations, and new utility designs.
- Is fluent in codes, standards and practices applicable in the United States (Canada is a plus) governing rail alignment, trackwork, storm water design, and utility relocations, including AREMA, DOT standards, municipal requirements, and consensus standard ASCE C-I 38-02
- Has extensive experience in performing and managing self-perform railway and roadway civil infrastructure work
- Has experience with cold weather design
- Has experience with engineering work planning, scheduling and cost estimating
- Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, design of engineered systems, and engineering and calculations.
- Knowledge of current computer applications for engineering and design including appropriate knowledge of CAD (both 2D and 3D), CAE and relevant Bechtel Standard Computer Applications to perform the work.
- Understanding of engineering planning and control methods
- Demonstrated Value Engineering experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Minimum fifteen (15) years’ experience in civil engineering design for railway and roadway projects
- US Professional Engineering (PE) license in Civil Engineering or Professional Engineering Registration in Canadian Province
- Practical work experience sufficient to demonstrate competence and breadth in civil engineering design
- Experience in the supervision of less experienced engineers and CAD designers
- Experience and proficiency with design software for digital terrain model generation and design, such as InRoads, Civil 3D, GeoPak, etc.
- Experience in customer-facing roles, presenting to customers and working with authorities having jurisdiction
- Must have the right to work and remain in the US without visa sponsorship
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Professional Engineering License/Registration in both the US and Canada
- Active participation in professional association(s) for civil engineering
Requisition ID: 201760