The Senior Civil Engineer works under the general direction of the Engineering Design Manager and is tasked with meeting the goals and objectives established by the Engineering Design Manager and is responsible for meeting the schedules and budgets for design projects assigned to the Senior Civil Engineer’s design team.
- Leads a design team to perform or manage multiple water supply and distribution design projects. Prepares design plans and specifications.
- Plans, directs, assigns, reviews, and evaluates the work of all assigned staff (technical). This includes preparing performance evaluations and career development profiles for all direct reports, as necessary.
- Coordinates internal and external resources, including consultants, towards the timely completion of assigned design projects while working closely with other asset management staff, operations, customer service and water quality staff to ensure project objectives are achieved.
- Prioritizes assigned design projects within area of responsibility. Monitors and reports on design project schedules and budgets and implements corrective actions when needed.
- Ensures design team meets design schedules and budgets for all assigned water supply and distribution design projects.
- Perform QA/QC on design projects by other engineers and consultants.
- Responsible for QA/QC of your design team.
- Engage and manage consultants and review invoices.
- Review and approve submittals and field changes during construction phase.
- Represents or assists in representing company in public settings with respect to projects.
- Performs engineering design services associated with the development of Capital Improvement Programs and related design documents such as Preliminary Design Reports, Project Cost Estimates, Cost/Benefit analysis and various Evaluations and Reports concerning system hydraulics, water supply, distribution, storage, treatment and water quality projects.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an accredited college required.
- Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California required.
- Six years of progressively responsible experience in water infrastructure design using computer-aided design software (AutoCAD).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems.
- May include but not limited to standing, walking, bending, pulling and/or pushing, grasping, lifting, reaching, stooping and crouching, color determination, typing, sitting, reading, speaking and listening.
Qualities of a Successful Senior Civil Engineer:
- Flexible, thoughtful, accountable, and passionate about work
- Highly organized
- Goal driven
- Approachable and willingness to be a mentor
- Ability to lead a team
- Ability to solve problems
- Ability to make independent sound decisions in a timely manner