Burns & McDonnell's headquarters in Kansas City is looking for a Senior Chemical Engineer to apply advanced technical expertise on engineering, procurement, and construction projects of processing facilities throughout the refining, midstream and chemical market sectors. Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked on FORTUNE's List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in numerous cities across the United States.
This position will allow you to the opportunity for more direct client and end-user interaction while engaging your technical design experience and entrepreneurial spirit at an industry-leading firm.
The Senior Chemical Engineer will work on an integrated design team within our Oil, Gas & Chemical division to perform the following duties:
- Perform process design calculations and develop deliverables such as hydraulic calculations, equipment sizing, process simulations, Heat and Material Balances (H&MB), Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) and Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs). Progressive design and project management responsibilities.
- Plan, schedule, conduct and coordinate work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, adaptation and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Execute complex assignments requiring the use of advanced techniques, resulting in the development of new or improved processes, equipment and/or technological methods.
- May coordinate departmental and divisional project studies and report preparation assignments.
- May develop and evaluate plans for major projects and assess feasibility or soundness of proposed applications when data is insufficient or testing is advisable.
- Must be capable of devising new approaches to problems encountered.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering from accredited program. Minimum 7 years of related applicable experience (completion of master's degree in related field may be substituted for one year of experience).
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer software (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Experience in process simulation software (i.e. HYSYS, Aspen Plus and/or Petro-SIM, HTRI) is preferred.
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to broad areas of assignments.
- Refining, midstream and/or chemicals experience strongly preferred.
- PE preferred