Scope: Develops and directs Texas efforts to move from coal to clean energy. Collaborates with variousinternal departments and programs, partner organizations, and volunteer leadership to ensure execution of a strategic coordinated state-basedcampaign and manages daily operation of thiscampaign. Ensures strategic alignment of the statecampaign with regional and national goals and objectives; communicates national priorities and benchmarks to TX team. Creates and executes state-basedcampaign work plans and revises plans as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements. Identifies resources needed and assigns individualresponsibilities. Prepares and submits weekly progressreports. Represents the Sierra Club to government officials, the media, business and community leaders, allies andotherorganizations,
- Directs Beyond Coal Campaign efforts in Texas to move from coal to clean energy. Develops and implements strategic campaign working in collaboration with Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program, Organizing Department, Lone Star Texas Chapter, Communications Department, Digital Strategies, Sierra Club’s other capacities and programs, and volunteer leadership.
- In collaboration with state team, engages key players in state power generation, state elected and appointed decision makers, and executives in the clean energy industry to assure advancement of Sierra Club’s priorities.
- Supports and provides senior-level professional expertise to staff and volunteers. Provides conservation training and motivation to staff and volunteers.
- Works to develop and ensure that volunteers assume meaningful roles in the campaign.
- Directs media outreach activities related to the campaign in collaboration with the Texas Chapter. Serves as Sierra Club spokesperson to media outlets and promotes volunteer media exposure.
- Writes, edits, and reviews educational and advocacy materials.
- Provides analysis and support of campaignbudget and quarterly forecasts.
- Represents the Sierra Club to the general public and to strategic allies.
- In cooperation with Advancement, participates in major donor and foundation solicitation and cultivation.
- Reports on progress toward established goals and the effectiveness of campaign strategies.
- Introduces creative ideas and approaches; fosters creativity among team members.
- Handles miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- B.A./B.S. degree in an environmental, political, legal, or related field.
- At least 5years ofexperience in the planning and implementation ofcampaigns, which includesexperience:
- planning and managing a state or regional level legislative campaign;
- working with attorneys and utilizing legal advocacy;
- media relations and strategic communications;
- working with senior level political and business leaders;
- Experience working with organized labor is a plus.
- Excellent knowledge of the electric sector, including coal-fired generation and renewable energy.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
- Commitment to building an organization that is diverse, equitable and inclusive, as well as promoting a culture of learning and growth.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.