JOB SUMMARY: The Civil Senior CAD Designer performs complete construction drawings for complex civil design projects. This position creates drawings from survey and engineering input; performs mathematical calculations and 3D modeling; and prepares plan, profile, and cross-sections as part of a complete set of construction documents. This individual makes decisions regarding design suitability using knowledge of specified product materials and construction practices. This position requires thorough knowledge, and accurate use of civil drafting techniques, computer operations including CAD with 3D modeling, and civil engineering practices. The Civil Senior CAD Designer recommends and implements design changes to resolve field problems. The position requires some field work. The majority of the design work will be performed using AutoCAD and Civil3D.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Prepare complex drawings and designs with limited guidance from a professional engineer, architect, or supervisor.
- Use computer-aided drafting or design software for design, drafting, modeling, or other engineering tasks.
- Perform calculations and provide engineering solutions to complex problems with oversight from a professional engineer or supervisor.
- Adhere to project deadlines and keep the supervising staff member informed of any difficulties encountered on assignments.
- Self-direct, plan, prioritize, organize, and accomplish the work. Use judgment, critical thinking, and decision-making skills to determine if the drawings will comply with the scope of work, regulations, and client expectations.
- Investigate field conditions and read and comprehend as-built drawings, construction specifications, codes and regulations, and technical information to develop CAD drawings.
- Coordinate with clients, project engineers, utility departments, manufacturers, and others to understand, develop, and deliver drawings.
- Maintain and set up computers, software, file archiving procedures, and printers/plotters. Develop tools and processes to help use CAD more efficiently.
- Reproduce drawing and document packages to fulfill contractual obligations.
- Effectively communicate with others via telephone, in written form, by e-mail, or in person.
- Maintain technical knowledge with regard to computers, software and design techniques.
- Learn and adapt to new programs, and adjust to changes in product and client demands.
Quality Program Responsibility
- Assume responsibility for the quality of work submitted. Review designs and documents before submitting them to the next review level.
- Perform quality control checks of CAD drawings prepared by others.
- Responsible for proper quality assurance and quality control on projects in accordance with the Jones Edmunds Quality Program to ensure projects meet Company, industry, and client standards and expectations.
- Submit work for quality control review on time and in a complete format.
- Responsible for managing self on projects to ensure that a quality product is produced in accordance with the schedule.
- Assist with prioritizing CAD staff‘s workload.
- Understand the services offered and the client base served by the Company.
- Present a professional and positive image of Jones Edmunds.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: AS in Civil Drafting or related field or completion of full-time or part-time technical program in Civil Drafting/Design, completing 60 or more credit hours
Experience: 15+ years of progressive CAD experience. Must have extensive skills and applied knowledge and experience with Microstation and/or AutoCAD
Other: Extensive applied knowledge and experience with Microstation and/or AutoCAD, preferably in an engineering consulting environment
Valid Driver’s License with an acceptable MVR