Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is basedin Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This is the second level in a three-level career path. This position is primarily responsible for providing extensive system (automated and manual), processes, testing and project support for medium to large sized functional and/or cross-functional business area initiatives. The incumbent partners extensively with IT, other functional areas and the ProgramOffice. The incumbent also mentors junior team members.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs/Leads the effort to identify, research and resolve complex problems.
- Ensures that a variety of solutions are analyzed and the appropriate solution is implemented.
- Ensures that production systems/processes are being monitored.
- Support the identification, analysis and documentation of complex System Change Requests that impact one or more systems or business units.
- Ensures that appropriate level of analysis has been conducted to develop requirements. Partners with other functional areas and IT to help prioritize and implement system change request.
Subject Matter Expert
- Represents functional area on large functional/cross-functional projects which are highly complex to effectively communicate business needs.
- Actively participates in and partners with others on requirements elicitation sessions and other phases of the system development life cycle.
- Ensures that all the system development/enhancementwork undertaken keeps the customer (end user) in mind.
- Support the documentation for the system and/or processes the business area owns/supports is comprehensive and adequately maintained.
- Assesses technical/process impact of making complex business changes.
Testing (System Change Request (SCR) and Projects)
- Manage testing for medium to large initiatives, within or outside of the functional area and with IT partners, ensuring testing is comprehensive in order to have high quality and minimize defects.
- Able to develop test timelines, test plans, test cases and management updates.
- Ensures that testing results are analyzed thoroughly, tracked, effectively documented and has proper signoff.
- Ability to think beyond the current system/process being tested and assesses impacts to other systems/process that integrate/touch the system/process being tested.
- Performs project coordination, extensive situational business analysis/problem solving and/or implementation support for large sized functional/cross-functional projects which have high degree of complexity.
Partnering and Communications
- Ensures that there is strong partnership and collaboration within the functional area and cross-functionally with other functional areas and IT.
Continuous Improvement/Process Innovation
- Looks for ways to improve existing processes that the functional area owns/supports or one that spans multiple functional areas.
- May train or mentors junior team members.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years in functional area or other related area
- Advanced business knowledge of the systems and/or processes the functional unit owns/supports and advanced business knowledge of other functional areas.
- Advanced capability to assess down-stream impacts when a change is proposed to systems/processes that integrate/touch the system/process the functional unit owns/supports.
- Advanced knowledge of the customers the functional area supports and the processes they follow.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) preferred
- Strong ability to effectively articulate difficult, extremely complex and multi-faceted ideas and concepts through clear and concise verbal and/or written communication.
- Basic knowledge of MS Project preferred, as well as PC/Mainframe/applications experience
- Advanced negotiation skills
- Excellent planning, organization and time management skills
- Has personal initiative to set goals and task that stretch abilities and follow through on them.
- Expands accountability beyond direct tasks.
- In addition to oneself, leads/drives others to act with an appropriate sense of urgency to achieve successful results.
- Advanced leadership skills.
- Strong, proven knowledge and work experience of Project Management methodology
- Strong knowledge/understanding of corporate systems development methodology and broad understanding/awareness of other methodologies
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.