- Lead liaison with Office Managing Partner as well as others in management.
- Liaison with Firm Practice Group Leaders in matters related to on-boarding and exiting personnel.
- Assist Office Managing Partner in all budget and financial matters specific to Chicago.
- General office management, including office operations, implementation and adherence to firmwide policy initiatives, coordination of activities with other administrative managers and supervisors, and coordination with other support functions outside the market. Includes full-scope performance management activities for direct reports, including writing evaluations and allocating merit increases and bonuses in accordance with established firm programs and budgets. Also includes coaching and making employment decisions with regard to employees not meeting expectations.
- Responsibilities include networking with local peers in market to understand local market distinctions and pressures and advising others in management regarding innovative or other market changes which have competitive bearing on the business.
- Collaborate and liase with various firmwide administrative areas including Human Resources, Docket, Systems & Technology, Accounting, Marketing and Library.
- Work closely with office Human Resources Manager and cover each other’s function during vacations and other absences.
- Appropriately balance firm initiatives with local office needs. Support and champion changes initiated by firm management.
- Developing budget for facilities and support service functions and participate in the budgeting process for other relevant areas.
- Make recommendations for process improvements within Operations function of the office.
- Special project management such as leases, allocation of office space, office renovations, build-outs, office moves, local contract negotiations as needed and other projects. Local responsibility for matters related to containment and reduction of building operating costs.
- Fixed asset inventory control activities.
- Supervisory responsibility of general office services personnel, including all secretaries, as well as liaison with other departmental administrative managers onsite and in other offices including conducting all assessments and participation in salary administration process.
- Managing lawyer/secretarial assignments and maintaining those assignments in People Soft.
- Development and implementation of business continuation plan.
- Supervision of local records management activities in tandem with firmwide Records Manager.
- Equipment maintenance and control exclusive of Systems & Technology inventory.
- Assist administrative departments in workflow issues.
- Responsible for facilities maintenance as well as establishing and maintaining a local relationship with building management and the landlord.
- Researching and tracking down delinquent invoices to determine responsible person as well as making sure they are processed. Occasionally negotiating with service providers when thorny client issues arise.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in a professional discipline such as Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration or equivalent experience. Professional certifications considered a plus.
Experience: At least five years management experience; previous law firm or service environment experience preferred.
Skills: Strong leadership, management, problem-solving, organizational, and PC skills. Able to understand, influence, and serve others. Ability to select, develop, and motivate people and create a positive team environment. Ability to resolve office issues quickly and effectively and to determine appropriate courses of action for the organization. Flexible, well-developed interpersonal skills and able to interact with employees and others at all levels.