- Work closely with CSD senior management to ensure effective and efficient business support of the CSD mission.
- Effectively partner with various managers across scientifically adjacent programs, divisions/departments within the LBNL Operations and on the implementation and roll-out of new Lab-wide Operations initiatives, including system implementation/ upgrades, policy/procedure changes, sharing best practices, efficiency exercises and other Operations driven projects and enabling scientific collaboration and communication.
- Manage, lead and develop strategies to ensure the effective integration of science support, administrative, operations services, and EH&S activities. Initiate, recommend, interpret and implement Laboratory administrative and operational policies, procedures and practices to ensure programmatic objectives are met.
- Oversee and coordinate program reviews and data calls with division staff, leadership and other lab contacts to ensure transparency, timely and accurate responses.
- Provide expert consultation and advice to Division Director and division management on complex business issues ranging from internal business practices within division programs to strategic issues with Lab-wide impact; ensure services are customer-focused, efficient, of high quality and cost-effective.
- Establish strategic working relationships with Laboratory and UCB campus partners across diverse functional and organizational lines. Serve as an advocate for the division’s interests and needs to Operations departments.
- Partner with division Safety Manager on integrated safety management with a specific emphasis on environment, health and safety issues in the division’s daily operations and conduct of research.
- Manage all CSD space interests on and off-site. Work with leadership, CSD staff, Facilities and campus counterparts to maintain accurate data. Coordinate space on site and UCB DOE-funded space for division; ensure that division needs are prioritized and well represented at the Area and Laboratory level.
- Supervise operations staff and Solar Fuels Hub operations staff and ensure overall quality of work, accuracy and timely delivery of administrative services.
- Serve as a liaison with Human Resources to ensure effective delivery of HR services; partner and consult on a variety of HR matters and issues, workforce planning, recruiting and hiring, performance and salary management, and training and development.
- Serve as a member of the divisional council and provide effective consultation on the development and execution of strategic program plans (short and long-range) and initiatives.
- Oversee Division Staff Committee, (DSC) activities relating to hires, mid-term reviews and promotion cases. Coordinate activities with DSC Chair, CSD Sr Administrator, Division Director, HR and at times Laboratory Directorate. Provide guidance on DSC practices to align their activities with the Division and Energy Sciences Area.
What is Required:
- MBA degree and 10+ years of significant and relevant professional-level work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience taking a leadership role in analyzing, recommending, and implementing efficient business processes and procedures for an evolving research organization including experience in planning and recommending new methods and technology to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Five or more years of experience managing and leading the planning, coordinating, and delivery of business services in a highly complex and constantly changing environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills as demonstrated by the ability to present ideas clearly and logically to individuals, groups, and review panels.
- Comprehensive leadership and management experience in oversight of division budget plus two or more of the following areas: strategic planning, human resources, and workforce management, policy and procedure development, procurement, and property management.
- Demonstrated experience identifying, troubleshooting, and escalating issues effectively.
- Substantial supervisory experience including effective performance management; record of being decisive and able to take swift action; motivate, direct and lead exempt and non-exempt staff.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; Demonstrated ability to collaborate and interact effectively with peers, superiors, and subordinates and function effectively in a diverse team environment; ability to build productive relationships and communicate and interact effectively with a broad range of staff, internal and external to the organization.
- Ability to define and effectively evaluate situations and problems, use sound judgment, and act decisively; excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to effectively prioritize competing projects and responsibilities to meet milestones and deadlines.
- Record of sound judgment and the ability to take decisive action without all desired information.
- Ability to proactively identify and anticipate division needs and provide appropriate solutions, including the ability to successfully negotiate and deal with internal and external organizations to achieve mutual goals.
This position will remain open until filled.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position will be remote initially but limited to individuals residing in the United States tentatively until 2021 due to COVID-19. Once the Bay Area shelter-in-place restrictions are lifted, work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.