This position will drive revenue growth and development impact across TechnoServe’s regional divisions and technical areas of excellence. The Senior Business Development Manager (SBDM) will lead and support the development of high-priority bids with TechnoServe’s priority donors, including the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), and others. The SBDM will be involved in all phases of new business development from ideation through proposal submission, including opportunity generation, concept note and pitch development, pre-positioning efforts, program design, and proposal development on competitive and non-competitive bids.
Below we describe the principal responsibilities in order of importance.
- Manage the development of program concepts. In collaboration with TechnoServe staff and partner organizations, s/he will run co-design workshops to define problems and develop solutions, draft/write/prepare initial concepts, and support our regional and technical staff to pitch new opportunities. Co-design concepts range from targeted solutions for a specific corporate funder to complex public-private partnerships with bilateral donors. S/he will need to understand technical content and work with our experts to refine and innovate solutions based on context and need. Estimated level of effort – 35%.
- Lead and support opportunity capture efforts. S/he will support TechnoServe’s geographic regions and technical practices to position for high-priority bids, overseeing efforts ranging from capture trips to recruitment efforts. The SBDM will ensure that TechnoServe is prepared to respond by overseeing a process that ensures proper preparation for preliminary program design and win theme development; identification of and consultation with critical stakeholders, including proposal partners; initiation of recruitment for key personnel; and production of capture trip reports, among other responsibilities. Estimated level of effort – 20%
- Serve as proposal writer and integrator for high-priority bids. S/he will be responsible for writing and integrating specialized inputs into broader technical proposal narratives and supporting annexes (executive summary, technical approach, management plan, organizational capacity, monitoring and evaluation plan, implementation plan, etc.) on high priority bids. Estimated level of effort – 20%.
- Support improved performance management in program development. S/he will support the global PD team to improve new business performance through mentorship, training, and strengthened knowledge management. The SBDM will work with the Principal Technical Writer to support mentorship and training aimed at strengthening proposal writing throughout the organization. In close coordination with the PD KM Lead, the SBDM will also support the development of PD toolkits, guidance documents, and templates aimed at promoting global standards in across regions and country platforms, focusing on lead generation and concept development steps. Estimated level of effort – 15%.
- Perform other tasks as required by the associate vice president, program development. As TechnoServe operates in a dynamic and constantly changing environment, there will be ad-hoc requests related to program development, including planning and strategy. Estimated level of effort – 10%.
- At least 10 years of experience with Bachelor’s degree, or 7 years of experience with Master’s degree, in a relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years of experience in analytical and strategic roles within the private sector and/or international development sphere.
- At least 5 years of experience in proposal development with a proven track record of managing and/or writing winning proposals.
- Experience in project design in the international development arena and knowledge of the international development donor landscape.
- Ability to use and aptitude for Results Based Management/Logical Framework approaches preferred.
- Passionate about market-led approaches to helping the poor improve their livelihoods.
- Fluency in Spanish, French, and/or Portuguese strongly preferred; additional language skills are desirable.
- Experience in agricultural development/agribusiness/economic growth/enterprise development preferred.
- Understanding of innovative design concepts and methodologies such as Human Centered Design and Lean Agile Development.
Languages: English required. Fluency in French, Portuguese or Spanish preferred.
Travel: International up to 30%; Domestic up to 10%
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with enthusiasm for writing.
- Ability to perform under pressure, be flexible, work independently, manage multiple tasks, and work effectively as a manager and team member in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrated ability to coach more junior professional colleagues.