Accountable for all selling activities for the assigned Clinical Services portfolio, from lead generation through close using a defined sales approach. This role creates, submits for approval, and executes an agreed upon Sales Plan which will meet assigned goals and objectives related to revenue and gross margin growth outlined in our Internal Operating Plan (IOP). The Senior Business Development Manager will work closely within their respective sales and support teams to ensure delivery of responsive service that meets client requirements, revenue and gross margin growth targets, and long-term client relationship development goals in line with the Clinical Services IOP.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Create, submit for management approval, and implement a written Business Development plan.
- Develop attractive customer propositions across the range of Clinical Services based on their current and future needs as uncovered during the sales process
- Close and win business from both existing and new customers and business segments
- Generate sales leads using multiple methods including, but not exclusively, outbound sales calls, trade show attendance and follow up, digital inbound leads, market intelligence data and knowledge, Avantor cross-functional relationships and face to face meetings
- Be responsible for the development and submission of commercially viable quotations that are in line with or above company growth expectations, with the support of your line manager
- Prepare, draw insight and present within key accounts at face to face Quarterly Business Reviews to support current and future growth plans
- Track and report progress against assigned objectives weekly to designated management personnel using salesforce.com or other systems/documents as needed
- Timely and consistent updating of information in salesforce.com to ensure information is never more than a week old
- Forecast monthly projected BD wins and business impact based on current pipeline analysis
- Develop pricing strategy and pricing for new clients and existing clients in line with IOP.
- Follow up with customers post sale in order to ensure customer satisfaction and appropriately transfer to post-sale customer service teams
- Build, maintain, expand and grow key customer relationships so that future growth opportunities can be closely aligned with customer requirements
- Capture and document competitive sales tactics and submit relevant expanded service and/or program ideas that could generate new areas of interest for the Clinical Services business.
- Capture competitor intelligence in the market place and submit into the marketing team
- Overall expectation is that 70% of time is spent on pro-active managing and prospecting with existing and new accounts and , developing solutions and closing out opportunities, and 30% of time to be spent on forecasting, reporting and other administrative duties
- Be a subject matter expert and key contributor in large or global RFPsUnderstand and work within key sales and operations processes within Clinical Services
- Be proactive in increasing your stakeholder network in the business to support the Clinical Services and wider Avantor growth targets
- Travel to visit customers, host customer visits and represent the company at trade shows
- Represent the company and present a professional image to customer to supply an outstanding image and impression of the company
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent/applicable experience
- 5+ years of business development or experience where multiple people are involved in the purchasing decision and there is a solution based selling approach
- A proven track record of verifiable sales success driving growth with a consultative, strategic selling approach
- Business-to-business sales experience, with preference given to those with distribution experience and a scientific background and/or having work in a medical laboratory or research environment
- Knowledge of effective business development approaches in the Clinical Reference Laboratory testing industry is preferred
- Demonstrated capability to effectively utilize best in class selling processes and technology platforms