Senior Business Counsel & Manager
Job Purpose & Responsibilities Job Purpose:
This generalist position provides direct legal support to the Americas Business Development and Projects teams and manages the team of commercial/business lawyers responsible for supporting SABIC’s North American operations.
• Close collaboration with Regional and Functional Counsel within the business unit or region as well as other regions. Deputize for Chief Region Counsel – Americas and Chief Counsel – Global M&A & Antitrust, when required.
• Effectively coaching junior lawyers and deploying resources to ensure proactive and effective legal support for key business activities related to M&A activities, joint ventures, and commercial transactions within the Americas.
• Serving as key member of business unit/functional senior leadership team, advising on key legal developments and assisting in devising and implementing both short and long term business strategy in a manner that meets legal and compliance requirements and mitigates risk.
• Designing and driving best practices to enhance contracting and deal processes including development of contract templates and training materials.
• Cultivating a culture of compliance in supported teams by developing and delivering legal and compliance training and supporting overall compliance initiatives.
• Assessing risk and supporting commercial claims or legal proceedings along with outside counsel or in-house litigation counsel.
• Effectively supervising and managing cost of external legal support.
Education & Training (degree, training, or certification required)
• Law degree from a top law school with strong academic performance
• Member in good standing of any state (or D.C.) bar
• Minimum of 12+ years relevant experience in commercial/transactional law, M&A or Energy Projects with a major law firm or Fortune 500 legal department
• Significant experience leading all aspects of M&A transactions, joint ventures and greenfield projects, including structuring, drafting and negotiating complex transactional documents
• Proven ability to lead, coach and coordinate group of 3-4 lawyers responsible for commercial/business legal support for North American SBU operations and regional business development transactions.
• • Antitrust competence and international experience a plus
• Superior analytical and communications skills, both written and verbal
• Sound business judgment, with complementary knowledge of principles of tax and finance and advanced risk assessment capability
• Self-confident and proactive with ability to both participate in and lead multidisciplinary teams
• Exemplary focus on and demonstration of compliance and integrity
• Global cultural sensitivity and awareness