We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. If you'd thrive in that environment and our core values resonate with you -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Contribute to the evolution of our brand language, creating a strong and recognizable brand that speaks to our mission.
- Lead, advise, and support projects showcasing a consistent brand message across multiple products, services, and platforms (e.g., product, print, partner communication, events, advertising, and soft goods).
- Strengthen our brand touchpoints by helping to define how our brand is applied in our design system throughout both marketing and product.
- Educate and mentor others through your knowledge of brand and systems design (e.g., in one-on-ones with other designers and by helping non-design roles understand more about design).
- Collaborate transparently with stakeholders (design, user insights, communications, and others) to create impactful work that is informed by data and user feedback.
- Work proactively to obtain buy-in for ideas and carry them forward to production.
What we are looking for:
- 7+ years of brand design experience with a minimum of 2+ years in relevant senior-level positions at significant global consumer brands.
- Demonstrable strengths and hands-on experience in brand design, typography, color, and composition, including significant contributions to the branding efforts of at least one large software or digital product.
- Exceptional creativity with a strong aesthetic sensibility and intuition.
- Proficiency in current industry design tools needed to carry out brand work (e.g., Figma, Sketch, Adobe Suite, etc.).
- Willingness to advise/mentor other designers on their craft and how brand is implemented.
- Ability to provide creative feedback and participate in difficult brand conversations with discretion and minimal direction.
- Understanding of design systems and their impact across product and marketing.
- Ability to collaborate in defining and evolving brand messaging by actively representing the brand voice and vision.
- Ability to write creative briefs that define and communicate project goals to stakeholders.
- Effective project management, paired with exceptional communication skills.
- Experience working with qualitative user research.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job and we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
Other reasons to love working at DuckDuckGo:
- Flexible vacation and sick leave practices
- Flexible work schedule
- Company-wide hack days
- Company and team meetups
- Open participation in company strategy
- Family leave policy
- Co-working reimbursement
- Hardware and office setup benefits
- Wellness and learning benefits
- Charitable donation matching
- US health benefits
- US 401k
- "Use good judgment" approach to company policies