At EXP, we know that great experiences start with the right people. We believe that work should be challenging, and the challenge should be fun. We also believe that exponential possibilities are more likely to occur with a respectful, satisfying, and empowering company. We value and respect our employees - their experience and expertise as well as their energy, passion and diversity - and their innovative approach to work and to life.
EXP's Burnaby office is currently looking for a Senior Biologist to join their team. Reporting to the Director, Environmental Services, the successful candidate will be joining a well-established and diverse engineering group in Western Canada poised for growth and challenging opportunities well into the future.
- Field visits using established protocols as necessary to complete assessments of the natural environment. May include terrestrial, wetland and aquatic flora, fauna, species at risk and habitats, on various scale and size;
- Reporting on a variety of topics pertaining to the natural environment and potential impacts of development for submission to regulatory agencies, including making recommendations for best practice and industry standard mitigation measures;
- Secure environmental regulatory approvals (DFO, FLNRO) and authorizations to facilitate infrastructure and land development projects;
- Analyze, evaluate and interpret data while providing results within the scope and objective (s) of the specific project;
- Coordinate and complete environmental assessments (water quality, wetlands, vegetation, habitat, wildlife, aquatic);
- Lead project and coordinate projects with our environmental team
- Prepare and review technical reports, field work plans and associated documents from peers and junior staff;
- Act as a mentor to junior and intermediate staff, including on-site training and technical resource provisions;
- Provide technical and professional resources on issues related to natural sciences;
- Liaise with clients and regulatory agencies;
- Develop new business opportunities and enhance client relationships in both the public and private sectors;
- Other duties as assigned / required.
The Skills and Knowledge You Bring
- Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) in good standing;
- University degree in Environmental Science, Biology or Ecology. Master's degree preferred:
- 10-15 years of progressive experience in the environmental field; Preference will be given to those with consulting experience;
- Project Management experience with a focus on delivering on commitments and meeting or exceeding budget expectations;
- Experience preparing environmental impact studies / statements, natural heritage evaluations, etc .;
- Excellent understanding of legislation and regulations related to environmental protection, including but not limited to the Riparian Areas Protection Regulation, Fisheries Act, Water Sustainability Act;
- Strong knowledge of provincial and federal environmental acts, regulations and policy;
- Exposure to contaminated sites investigations and risk assessments will be an asset;
- A motivated, self-starter with a demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a team environment;
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as advanced technical writing abilities with a focus on attention to detail.