Job ID R-304275
Job Description Summary
Becton Dickinson is seeking a SeniorBioinformatics scientist to develop new infectious disease diagnostictechnologies and products. Our automated platforms enable clinical labs with timely and accurate lifesaving diagnostic results. The seniorbioinformatics scientist will be expected to develop new methods and tools for data analysis and interpretation, translating data into clinically actionable decision algorithms. The role will also design and optimize data analysis pipelines for improving R&D capability and efficiency. The ability to answer scientific questions from biological experiments is an essential skill for this position. The seniorbioinformatics scientist will collaborate with research and development teams throughout the full project life-cycle, participating in product development from start to finish. This role offers an excellent opportunity to impact many aspects of the medical diagnostic business, while providing a substantial contribution to BD’s already strong culture and commitment to quality product design and manufacture.
- Innovate, develop, train and validate automated algorithms to translate extensive microbiological datasets into clinically actionable decisions.
- Collaborate to develop descriptive models and metrics from instrument platform data to enable exploratory data analysis and decision algorithm training.
- Support project team activities by developing and maintaining algorithm and data analysis pipelines that collect, process and analyze experimental data.
- Collaborate with clinical and project teams to plan and analyze studies, experiments, and surveys; use statistics fundamentals to support and facilitate strategic decision making for management and project teams.
- Program, document, and validatesoftware code to execute data handling tasks, perform data analysis and produce data visualization results.
- As a member of the R&D bioinformatics and statistics team, identify and work to implement process improvement initiatives.
- Serve as cross-functional subject-matter expert in product and pipeline development from feasibility to market launch.
- Present analyses and interpretations to internal and external customers.
- Provide data analysis deliverables for projects to meet schedules and goals. Develop/revise work plans independently except for unusual situations, which might require consultation.
- Review and/or prepare formal written reports/documents for distribution within and outside the department.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science/Engineering, Biostatistics or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience in related role is required with Master’s degree. 0+ years of experience is required with PhD.
- Proficiency with Python, R, Perl, or similar data scripting / programming language is required.
- Demonstrated database management skills and familiarity with SQLrequired.
- Coursework or experience in statistics fundamentals is necessary.
- Coursework or experience in a Life science or Bio Chemical Engineering environment strongly preferred.
- Ability to interpret project level requirements and develop programming specifications, as appropriate, for complex studies is required.
- Experience with Software production tools (IDE, source control, and document tracking) and Test Management is a plus.
- Demonstrable scientific experimental design and data science experiencepreferred.
- Clear understanding of fundamentals of biological sciences. Knowledge in clinical microbiology is a plus.
- Experience working both in Linux/UNIX and MSWindows environments is preferred.
- Self-Motivated Learner
- Strong verbal communication skills and ability to discuss data, modeling, and analysis with technical and non-technical audiences
- A high degree of professionalism, customer focus, and organizational skills is required.
- Prior experience working within a regulated device or healthcare industry is preferred.