Responsible for the creation of data algorithms and specialized computer software to identify and classify components of a biological system. This role uses computational tools to gather and analyze data with the goal of understanding biological processes, diseases or disorders and consults with other scientists and researchers to analyze data sets.
- Develops and leads a variety of bioinformatics analysis projects.
- Develops and implements computational tools/processes starting from raw data and ending with the end-user in order to analyze large scale datasets.
- Writes custom scripts for analysis of data derived from high-throughput techniques.
- Researches and applies novel and cutting-edge techniques and incorporates new databases to improve system(s).
- Manages databases, conducts statistical analysis and analyzes data for grant and manuscript submissions. May contribute to grant and manuscript writing.
- Performs robust data quality control and validation.
- May give presentations both inside and outside of the institution.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in biochemistry, computational biology, or other related science discipline.
Those with a Bachelor’s degree and additional post-graduate experience may be considered.
PhD. in a related field strongly preferred.
2+ years post-graduate experience in a research environment, including the manipulation of large biological datasets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience and high proficiency in at least one of the following scripting languages: Python, R.
- Knowledge and proficiency in UNIX.
- Background in using different statistical models and Machine Learning techniques.
- Experience using Git.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Independent and a strong team-player.
- Driven and self-motivated. Willingness to tackle and drive execution of challenging projects.
- Ability to learn and deliver work in fast-paced and diverse environment.
- Comfortable communicating and working alongside a diverse team of scientists and medical professionals, and industrial staff.
- Demonstrated ability to run computationally intensive jobs on HPC and Cloud computing environments.
Licenses and Certifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands