Varo is a new breed of bank. All digital, mission driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way real people live their lives.
We're on a mission to bring financial inclusion and opportunity to all hard-working Americans. Through our mobile app, we offer premium bank accounts that have no minimum balance requirement or monthly account fees, high-interest savings accounts, short term lending and solutions to help customers stretch their paycheck, build credit and start saving. Our tech-first products are designed to make money work for everyone and help customers and communities build greater financial resiliency.
Varo is distinct from other fintechs: we've made history as the first and only consumer fintech to be granted a full national bank charter by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).
Varo Bank represents the evolution of a new generation of banks that are born from innovation and built on technology to empower consumers and businesses.
Our team combines the best of both consumer tech and banking, and we're wildly passionate about helping our customers. Our teams are based in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. Privately held, we've raised over $419M to date from leading institutional investors and strategic partners including Warburg Pincus, The Rise Fund / TPG Growth, Gallatin Point Capital, Harbourvest Partners, and Progressive Insurance.
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees and board.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Senior BI Data Engineer, you will play a critical role in implementing a variety of solutions to ingest, process and provision data to/from Varo's Data Lake. The Varo Lake enables Varo's data capabilities in Tableau reporting, analytics and allowing scientists to explore data in automated and self-service models.
As a technical contributor, you will take ownership of development for processing and analyzing data across the data platform.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop integration between Data Lake and Tableau Online, automation processes, using Python and Tableau Rest APIs
- Design, develop and maintain workflows and mappings, using the appropriate data load technique for storing dimensions and enterprise KPIs, using Python and AWS tools.
- Debug and tune data integration processes; process controls, troubleshoot and recommend improvements and alternate methodologies.
- Participate in code reviews and ensure that all solutions are aligned to pre-defined architectural and requirement specifications
- Provide production support to ensure timely completion and availability of data for reporting use. Analyze, resolve problems and provide technical assistance as is necessary.
- Participate in design reviews and provide input to the design recommendations; provide input to information/data flow, understand and comply with Agile Methodology in all planning steps
- Work closely with Product Analytics team in order to design the best solution to support Varo Enterprise Reporting
PREVIOUS SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering or related field, or relevant work experience
- 5-7 years programming experience in Python with calling third party APIs
- 5-7 years experience in SQL and database development
- 5+ data modeling, data warehouse experience
- Ability to drive to success in both independent and group projects.
- Ability to deliver results quickly in fast-paced environment.
- Experience working within the AWS (Glue and Athena) and Tableau is a plus
- Previous role working in Banking or Lending is also a bonus!
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees.
OUR CORE VALUES
Customers First: Understand the problems our customers are trying to solve. Respond with a sense of urgency. Build relationships that result in loyalty. Be data and insights-driven. Test everything. Achieve results through strong execution. Build a product people love. Assess new initiatives with the customers' interest in mind. Act with empathy.
Take Ownership: Bias towards action. Have high standards. Be accountable for the results of your work, our product, our company. Trust others to own it.
Respect: Treat others how you want to be treated. Listen first before being heard. Speak the truth even when it's not easy. Assume best intentions. Bring your full self to work.
Stay Curious: Ask why. Dare to make things better. Learn something new each day (even from mistakes). Be open to growth. Develop creative solutions.
Make it Better: Think big. Set high goals. Work towards long term value rather than short term wins. Create change. Be resilient.
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.