Advano is seeking a Senior Battery Engineer to optimize the quality of our lithium-ion battery electrodes. The occupant of this position will work in a small team of engineers on battery engineering and R&D projects. These projects may focus on the optimization of battery electrode slurry formulations, development of aqueous-based electrode slurries, slurry batch scaleup, roll to roll double-side coatings, roll to roll calendaring, and other engineering projects. Qualified applicants will have prior hands-on experience in the field of batteries. The person for this position must have a positive attitude and must do what it takes to get the job done. This position features opportunity for upward mobility. The individual must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with little room for error.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions:
- Work under the supervision of Battery R&D Manager in areas as varied as coating, slurry, mixing, equipment selection, material selection, and more.
- Iteratively improve existing formulations through the application of DOE to optimize the electrochemical performance of coatings (high areal loading, low coating impedance, high coulombic efficiency, etc.) made with Advano’s proprietary material.
- Design novel slurry mixing and coating techniques using superior scientific knowledge in materials science and engineering.
- Execute continuous improvement projects focused on batch size scaleup and aqueous binders.
- Develop and optimize protocols for coating large slurry batches using roll-to-roll techniques.
- Analyzing operating procedures and functions of equipment and machinery to reduce time and cost of electrode manufacturing processes.
- Engineer electrodes based on internal and external customer requirements.
- Develop non-electrochemical characterization techniques for electrode quality and repeatability.
- Maintain awareness of the state-of-the-art in technical areas of responsibility and its relevance/importance to corporate needs. Prepare timely, high-quality internal reports.
- Order equipment and materials with predetermined specifications, and interact with the vendor until final delivery.
Required Education and Experience
- 5-10 years of industry experience.
- B.S. or M.S. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science.
- Understanding of lithium-ion battery materials and cell manufacturing is a must.
- Prior experience working with roll-to-roll coating systems in a high volume manufacturing environment is a must.
- Prior experience working with novel binders for lithium-ion batteries is preferred.
- Well-organized and practical approach to problem-solving, driven by curiosity and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly master new technologies and independently drive improvement.
- Strong data-driven experimental design skills and an analytical ability to evaluate from first-principles understanding.
- Extensive knowledge of electrochemical energy storage materials.
- Interpersonal traits to work effectively and lead others.
- Has a do-whatever-it-takes attitude, thrives in a fast-paced, start-up environment, and is capable of delivering project deliverables on time.
- Exceptional communication skills and demonstrated collaboration abilities.