We're pioneering a new approach to credit, enabling Petal Card* applicants to leverage their banking history, in addition to their credit history, to establish their creditworthiness. Our proprietary Cash Scoring technology takes applicants’ income, spending, and savings into account and is helping traditionally underserved consumers across the United States access honest, simple and responsible credit, even if they’ve never had it before.
We bring the same ingenuity to Petal Card products. Our simple and intuitive app gives members access to credit score tracking, budgeting tools, subscription management, and automated payment options—everything they need to make financial progress.
Now more than ever, Americans need help improving their credit safely, responsibly, and affordably. If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, apply now, and let’s change this trillion-dollar industry together.
At Petal, we're looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
*Petal Cards are issued by WebBank, Member FDIC
Join our team of talented, motivated, and collaborative engineers to wrangle complex, ever-changing customer problems by building services to process payments, detect fraud, integrate with an array of data providers, and serve our app experience. To get this job done, we value open communication, diversity of thought, and a keen eye for detail.
Sound interesting? Then keep reading and hit that apply button!
- Write high-quality, well-tested server-side code that run smoothly in production and elevates the standards across the team
- Design system architectures for new event source use cases and batch processes
- Teach across the broader engineering organization to improve best practices and influence system design
- Lead complex projects, influence product design and make business vs technology trade-offs during all phases of the project lifecycle, consistently delivering on time
- Help other engineers on the team increase their productivity through mentorship, coaching, and unblocking
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Experienced in designing, developing, testing, shipping, and scaling service-oriented/distributed applications or systems.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Displays inclusivity, kindness, and humility. Our inclusive and collaborative culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.
- Collaborative, empathetic, listens with intent. Communication of complex, ever-changing business and technology concepts is hard. Creating a shared understanding and path forward via an open discussion is commonplace at Petal.
- Passionate about systems design and robust software. Our backend platform change often as we work and experiment to bring credit to as many people as we can. We are passionate about software architecture and fault tolerant production systems.
- Effective leader and (someday) manager. This is a high-growth role that can enable someone to grow into people management responsibilities through active mentorship and team leadership, especially as the company scales.
- Weighs trade-offs and focuses on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Petal, we design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- We're seeking someone with a bachelor's degree or above in a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience and interest in people management and helping others grow
- Python chops
- Experience with a microservices architecture
- Experience in a highly regulated industry such as finance or healthcare