Do you think that rapid application development cannot be used to create mature applications? Of course, you don’t. You know Ruby is designed to build mature, expressive applications rapidly. We’re looking for a pragmatic Senior Engineer to join our API Team and help build the backend systems that power Updater.
Updater is one of the fastest growing tech companies in NYC, and our goal is to streamline the moving process for the millions of households who move each year. Moving is complicated, but it shouldn’t be. That’s why our platform is comprised of a suite of both business and consumer-facing apps: from a consumer-facing platform to a variety of products for real estate companies to an API and an Integrations Platform.
Our backend systems are built using Ruby on Rails and are fully hosted on AWS which allows us to focus on building great applications. We are looking for someone that is passionate about building simple and highly maintainable solutions for complex problems.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate daily with product, internal stakeholders, and other engineers to design and build backend systems and our API
- Engage in architecture and infrastructure decisions for the product(s) you own
- Serve as the technical lead for the products on your team, including the planning and resourcing of business-critical products
- Be mindful of the QA, operations, and performance of team products and features
What you’ll have:
- 4+ years experience working on a REST API or a complex backend product on a strong engineering team
- Experience with Ruby, as well as other open sourced technologies such as Go, Node.js, or Python
- Strong backend or API domain knowledge. You’re intellectually curious, and understand the pros and cons of different tools and technologies.
- A pragmatic approach to engineering. You have opinions about engineering processes, architecture, infrastructure, and tools, but understand there are often multiple valid ways to solve a problem.
- Product and business sense. You care about the impact of your work on the business and end user and take a proactive approach to working with Product.
A month at Updater might include:
- Rotating office DJ duties
- Catered Monday breakfasts, Friday lunches, and rip-roaring happy hours
- Awesome off-site activities, like zombie laser tag and Escape the Room (just to name a few!)
- Cross-functional collaboration with the entire team
- Group outings to NYC Meetup events
Compensation & Benefits:
We're looking for top-tier talent, and we offer compensation packages that include competitive base salary & stock options. Our comprehensive benefits programs include health care, dental, transportation subsidies, and Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO).