Some of the cool stuff you'll be working on:
As a Backend Developer you'll use leading edge technologies to innovate highly concurrent, server applications that directly impact ecobee's success. We encourage the freedom to investigate and evaluate new technologies to solve complex problems. As a result, your input will have a significant impact on our company and objectives.
You will work on product squads of diverse composition (other Server Developers, Front End developers, QA, Site Reliability Engineers, Product Stakeholders, Creative/Design), and be an Ambassador for the "back end"; applying your craft to contribute to the squad's success.
Who you are:
- You like to continuously challenge yourself by finding new and better ways to solve complex problems.
- You don't mind learning new technologies if it means getting you there sooner.
- The bigger the challenge, the better. You want to fearlessly dive into issues of concurrency, management of massive data sets, security, redundancy, fail over, and everything else you imagine a successful IoT company would need to consider.
- You have experience coding (we're looking for people of all levels), are interested in furthering your core Java knowledge, and eager to compliment it with other server-side technologies like Kafka, databases of varying nature, all sorts of Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services trinkets, Voice Assistant integrations (Alexa, Google), and more.
- We use Go, Java, and Kotlin; so you're not shy of mixing it up because you understand the importance of "the right tool for the right job".
- You understand the craft of software development; automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, design patterns, etc.de.
- The fundamentals of software engineering are very important to you: complexity (timing) of algorithms, the right data structure for the problem at hand.
- You know databases, SQL and otherwise.
- You are familiar with how to get your code "live", from getting it reviewed, merged into a production GIT branch, and orchestrated on the cloud or in a datacenter. You care about the stability of what you build so our customers have a great experience 24/7; this means being on a team that believes in and relies on metrics, a healthy on-call rotation to react to anomalies, and in general, creating wonderfully robust systems.
- You are comfortable scripting in Linux for automation.
- You keep your ear to the ground in the community to keep up with movements in the industry via blogs, tutorials, books, videos.