The men and women of Electric Operations ensure thedelivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E’s electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management,business planning, restoration and emergency response.
This is a Senior Automation Engineer position that requires mastery of the Senior Engineer job duties and the technical leadership necessary for developing standards as well as newdesigns. This job is responsible for providing technical system automation engineering
for routine projects and maintenance/operation support including, but not limited to: issuing automation requirements, remote terminal unit (RTU) programming, and configureperipheral boards (DNP-C), regulator controllers, meters, as well as investigating automation system failures within the substations.
The senior position is required to have abilities to train and mentor junior engineers, develop new automation standardsand advise management on evolving automation architectures as well as emerging technologies and industry practices.The senior position needs to have a mastery of the various SCADA architectures used in PG&E, and develops future architectures andtechnologies.
– A 4-year BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US.
– Meets specific technical requirementsgained through a minimum of thirteen years of cumulative experience in the field of SCADA/Automation.
– Master degree
– Current and active California PE license
– Expert level automation engineering knowledge required.
-Expert level knowledge of SCADA architectures and communication technologies pertinent to Automation is required.
– Ability to program, review, troubleshoot and analyze RTU configurations.
– Knowledge of protective relay hardware and software in order tointerface with
– Expert level knowledge of automation equipment and testing.
– Ability to analyze complex SCADA/automation problems and determine solutions.
– Able to work without supervision and guidance to meet complexproject commitments.
– Demonstrates expert level judgment when making decisions and recommendations.
– Ability to manage and complete multiple complex projects concurrently.
– Interprets applicable codes, industry standards and regulations andeducates others.
– Ability to provide comprehensive analyses of complex problems and sound technical justification of recommendations.
May perform all the functions of the Associate and Journey Engineer, and in addition:
1.Manage large highly complex projects and perform engineering analyses.
2. Develop innovative solutions to tackle challenging technical issues.
3. When necessary, act as a lead in root cause analyses and make recommendations to mitigate local andsystem-wide implications.
4. Represent PG&E at external industry associations, committees, trade organizations, and other inter-utility groups as needed.
5. Develop technical standards, work procedures and engender sound standard practices.
6.Provide technical opinions, expertise and advice to management.
7. Provide technical development to less-experienced automation engineers.
8. Evaluate emerging technologies to enhance current system to drive system reliability, compliance, productivity,efficiency, and cost savings.
9. Provide technical expertise and leadership to Support Electric Operations
10. Provide Technical expertise and leadership in 3rd Party Interconnections
Resolves problems of highly complex scope and identifiescreative or non-standard solutions. Independently plans work to meet assigned general objectives. Provides technical input on strategies and initiatives undertaken by management. Serves as the subject matter expert on SCADA/Automation architectures standards andpractices. Internal contacts include project team members and managers across departments; serving as subject matter expert on Automation. External contacts include technical interaction with vendors, manufacturers, other utilities as well as consultants onnon-routine issues. May requires to participate in professional organizations to keep abreast of new industry trends, technologies, developments and procedures and to offer technical opinions. May represent the company on committees.
Requisition #: 54247268-E02