Job Title: Senior Automation and Controls Technician - Direct Hire / Full Time / Perm
Job Location: Bel Air, MD
Job Type: Full Time / Perm / Direct Hire + Benefits
"US citizens and those authorized to work in the US are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor H1b candidates at this time."
- MDAW has a "Major" SCADA project in 2019 – upgrading and integrating the SCADA systems throughout the various locations.
- The incumbent must be able to run with the project.
- Must be able to work with the new technology.
- The incumbent should be able to assist in identifying way that MDAW can become more technically independent.
- Managing software and hardware projects will allow MDAW to operate the plants independently if needed.
- These are 24/7 plant operation
- Responsible for performing and/or assisting in the design, installation integration, configuration, diagnosis, security, and commissioning of process control & monitoring equipment in automation & process control systems related to water treatment and distribution and wastewater treatment and collection.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Educating company employees on process control systems, ensuring compliance to Company process control standards and practices.
- Assist in construction projects.
- Participate in engineering design review, information gathering, inspection, and commissioning or startup of projects that include electrical, instrumentation and process control equipment or systems.
- Assist in factory witness testing.
- Assist or perform with guidance minor changes in software programs such as adding or modifying system signals, graphic displays, alarms and trending and functional operation of all instrumentation systems.
- Diagnose and resolve automation & process control system issues, with guidance.
- Keep current with hardware and software updates and improvements.
- Perform and or direct diagnostic procedures on installed mechanical, electrical or instrumentation and process control equipment or systems following American Waters Best Operating Practices (BOP).
- Advise and assist local maintenance personnel on installation, operation or diagnosis of automation & process control systems.
- Assist in the technical training of company personnel to enhance technical knowledge and skills.
- Perform advanced instrumentation validation.
- Review existing control logic with the Controls Engineer / Level III Technician and assist in control logic changes
- Develop and maintain relationship with Controls Engineer and Level I and III Technicians and other stakeholders such as operational leads, engineering, integrators, contractors, etc.
- Assist local operations with the creation of automation & process control budgets
Knowledge / Skills:
- Assist with planning, scheduling, and implementation phases of Capital Projects.
- Basic understanding of automation, instrumentation and process control equipment & systems.
- Demonstrated ability to follow standard instrumentation validation procedures and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to solve process control issues related to water / wastewater equipment & systems, with guidance.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform diagnostic procedures on data communications systems, wired and wireless network systems, Ethernet and radio telemetry, with guidance.
- Demonstrate the ability to edit and maintain HMI systems, with guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret P&IDs, control drawings, ISA instrument specifications, and loop diagrams.
- Knowledge of process control computers and data collection methods.
- Understanding of PC networking technology and telemetry methods
- Strong working knowledge of business applications such as Microsoft Office products and productivity tools.
- Strong working knowledge of electrical, mechanical and instrumentation & process control equipment and systems.
- Good planning, time management and organization skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Effective interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong client relations and customer service.
- Demonstrate ability to assess options and likely consequences when making decisions or solving problems.
Experience / Education:
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of automation & process control equipment & systems (SCADA).
- Experience with data communications systems, protocols, wired and wireless network systems, and radio telemetry.
- Minimum two (2) year Associates degree or equivalent.
- Additional experience and/or certifications or other education and training may be substituted for formal education.
- Travel, including overnight, as required
- Operating Facilities – Multi District State Coverage Area. Requires "on-call" out of hours support during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.