Senior Audit Project Manager ( Governance & Risk Mgmt )
8 - 10 years experience • Financial Services
Provide a leadership role in the delivery of value-added independent and objectiverisk-basedinternalaudit assurance and advisory services for BB&T Corporation. Further develop and maintain specialization and expertise in specific areas offinancial services. Assist in LOB relationship management andriskmonitoring.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Serve as auditor-in-charge for critical and more complex audit assignments by:
a. assuming responsibility for project management,
b. planning, scoping and developing the audit test plan, organizing and using resources effectively to complete assignments within budget,
c. leading kick-off and closing meetings with senior management,
d. ensuring development of and provide training to auditors on projects he/she is leading; provide feedback and advise the Audit Manager on performance of auditors under his/her supervision as auditor-in-charge
e. documenting processes using narratives, flowcharts and process maps,
f. analyzing process documentation to evaluate effectiveness and efficiency,
g. making appropriate recommendations and reporting the results of audits,
h. addressing material issues with senior management.
2. Support Audit Managers by performing any combination of the below:
a. assisting with annual planning and scheduling; and LOB Assessment process,
b. interviewing potential candidates for the team
c. assisting Audit Manager with organizing and using resources effectively to complete assignments within time and expense budgets
d. providing leadership in development of team members by taking an active role in training and mentoring new and junior team members, providing team members effective project feedback, including setting clear performance expectations, and providing subject matter expertise to Audit staff
3. Serve as advisor to bank management on more complex assignments by:
a. having a high level of understanding of the business strategies of BB&T, each line of business and the specific area or process under review,
b. being very knowledgeable of the organization, operations, policies and procedures (including bankinglaws and regulations) under which BB&T operates,
c. proactively supporting management on the establishment of internal controls, monitoring techniques and risk management,
d. advocating incorporation of risk management in the implementation of new systems, processes and changes to existing systems and procedures,
e. representing Audit on more complex and/or critical bank committees,
f. utilizing expertise in financial services
4. Further develop and maintain specialization and expertise in one or more specific BB&T
lines of business. Keep abreast of current trends, new developments, technologies and
practices in the auditing profession, banking industry, and area of specialization.
5. Serve as mentor for areas of specialization. Continue developing knowledge of
auditing and use of data analysis techniques. Pursue continuing education and possible
additional professional certifications, as appropriate.
6. Assist audit management to develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with assigned lines of business or business units. Accordingly, understand and evaluate associated risk profiles to help ensure appropriate audit coverage. Participate in key/critical projects/task forums.
7. Provide leadership in development of team members. Take an active role in the training
and mentoring of new and junior team members. Be a client service champion by
consistently modeling the perfect client experience.
8. Develop and maintain communications with management in areas of specialization to
ensure effective working relationships. Assist management in establishing internal
controls by consulting in the implementation of new systems, processes and changes to
existing systems, standards and procedures.
9. Maintain rapport with external auditors/bank examiners and assist in the coordination
efforts to ensure prompt and efficient completion of their examination.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related field or equivalent education and related training
2. Eight years of experience in audit, preferably in a role similar to an Audit Project Leader
3. Advanced knowledge, ability and expertise in audit and a broad understanding in multiple areas of banking and financial services
4. Substantial leadership experience and demonstrated leadership ability and decision making skills
5. Excellent understanding of risk management and process concepts
6. Excellent project management and consulting skills
7. Excellent analytical, facilitation, interpersonal and decision-making skills
8. Excellent written, verbal and negotiating skills
9. Good working knowledge of standard software applications such as MS Office and TeamMate
10. Ability to travel, occasionally overnight
1. Completion of a Graduate School of Banking.
2. Possess appropriate professional certification.
BB&T is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status or other classification protected by law.